Exmark ECS sytem with velke

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnworker, Nov 20, 2004.

1. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark users, I am looking to upgrade my old , Exmark pistol grip belt drive walk behinds. How does the newer ECS fixed deck hydros perform when considering lifting the deck over obstacles while standing on a velke? It looks like the ECS actually would be a disadvantage here. Let me know if I am wrong or right. I don't think pistol grips are even an option anymore.
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I have an Exmark with the ECS controls and a Velke. I dont have any problems leveraging the front end of the mower up when I need to. I weigh right at 200lbs. Someone 150lbs might find it a challenge.
  3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll get the hang of it. It is alittle harder at first but then again I went from a 36" pistol to a 52" so considering the weight differences its not too bad. I would go with the ECS over pistol anyday.
  4. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 60" Turf Tracer with ECS and a homemade velke. I also only weigh about 155 or so pounds. I started with pistol grips on a 48. It did take a while to get used to it. The key I think is to pull back on the handles as you let out on the controls. Two other things that help are one a full tank of gas and the second is the addition of a lift spring for the velke. It serves two purposes one it lifts the velke out of the way when I step off it. The other is when I am standing on it it lightens the front end some making it easier to raise it.

5. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I am sorta leaning toward the viking fixed deck hydros. I am ready for a change in mowers. It will be nice having true control over speeds. And no slippage to worry about.

Regarding weight, I am pushing 180# so I should be all right.
  6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I run both 52" TTHP/ECS/jungle wheels, and 36" Metro/jungle wheels. To be honest I am about to sell my 36" and get another TTHP. You will be better off getting a floater as opposed to fixed like Viking. The way height adjusted and blades changed, also deck cleaning, etc, I would not consider Viking over TTHP. The ability to be zero turn of hydro and instant reverse is "priceless" beyond explanation. The belt WB is just a starter but to make a serious living, no way.