1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark Fixed Or Floating?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SIRCAESAR, Jan 20, 2004.

SIRCAESAR LawnSite Member

Hey guys i put up the Exmark vs Scag, Vs Hustler Vs Snapper Vs Gravely post a few days ago which all of you gave great feedback thank you, trying to decide on which one to get, well I am deciding on the Exmark metro walkbehind 36" that I want. the guy says they will be doing a demo and sale in my area on feb 11, the price will come from I think $3000 to $2199, the only thing is it has a fixed deck, I also looked at the toro and exmark 48" their both $3499 with floating decks, the guy told me Toro bought out exmark, which is why the machines look totally identical..except the Exmark has pistol Grip, the 36" floating is only $200 less then the 48" floating? $3299, I asked the guy the major difference between the fixed and floating decks. he said on hills the floating deck would not rub, versus the fix rubbing and messing up the caster wheels..unless I adjust something else he said. What do you think, should I save the $1000 and go with the exmark 36" fixed, or is it worth it to pay the extra $1000 and get the floating deck?
  2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

IMHO, a 36" deck doesn't create many scalping and/or terrain problems. You should be a-okay w/ a fixed deck. Also, remember floating deck machines are heavier as well as more expensive. BTW, did you check out their ECS controls.
  3. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

I've use both Toro 36" floating and Toro 36" fixed deck.The floating deck is the better of the two only because in my opinion the floating deck goes over uneven ground and will not scalp the turf as often as the fixed deck . Even with a floating deck if I'm going to fast and going over a bump it will sometimes scalp the turf anyway. The fixed deck will scalp some turf easier ( ei. Bermuda),but its cost less, otherwise its a good machine.
  4. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I bought 2 exmark floating deck machines a couple years ago and I think it was a waste of money. The weight makes them a little harder to manuever and the guys will end up scalping areas where they enter a lawn if it's higher than the driveway or sidewalk. We'll probabaly go back to fixed decks exmarks soon.
  5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no need for a floating deck on a 36. imo
  6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I have a 36" exmark floating deck and love it. It does not scalp in places the fixed deck did, and even my 21" lawn boys did. As for that price, the exmark metro goes for $1999.00 brand new around here with fixed deck.
  7. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

you problaby wont have a problem with a fixed on a 36" however i would rather have a floater
  8. Clark Landscaping

Clark Landscaping LawnSite Member

whats the opinion on a 48 walkbehind,
  9. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have 3 exmark 48" Vikings and I have never had a problem w/scalping. They cut great and stripe nicely also!!
  10. rotgg

rotgg LawnSite Member

with a 36" wont matter that much