exmark for $2000.00

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by harperservices, Oct 29, 2002.

?

Exmark 36inch wb Metro

1. Greate

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. Good

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  3. O.K.

12 vote(s)
    27.9%
  4. Don't waste your time look at another mower

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  1. harperservices

harperservices LawnSite Member

Met a dealer that wants to sell a 2002 Exmark for $2000.00 36inch wb. It's a demo he said. Also it is a Exmark Metro with a Kawasaki 12.5 engine.

What do you think? Good deal?

I need a backup/new mower. Mine been in the shop now for a week and they still can't fix it. (John Deer 36inch wb approx 400hrs)

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Man, this dealer must just want it out of his way, and fast! That is really a good deal, assuming that being a demo it does not have many hours on it.

Congratulations!!
    MATT

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

it seems reasonable but (to me) it is far from a steal.

for 200 more you could get a brand new lesco 48 with 15 KAW with a two year commercial use warranty.

good luck.

GEO

4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

How many hours? I think those were sold for between $2,000, and 2,400 new, depending on location. Not a steal to me.

Jay

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

What??

He said 36" w/ 12.5HP, right?

I thought $2K (give or take a c-note) was the price new?

Doesn't sound as good to me.

I'd take Geo's advice and buy a 48" Lesco with a bigger engine (15HP) BRAND NEW for the same money.

Good Luck with your decision though.

6. harperservices

harperservices LawnSite Member

so far you guys are saying to buy a lesco. Fine but what I am reading about lesco is not good.

true or false. I will buy the 48inch today if I felt good about it.

7. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer has 36 metro's with a 15 kohler new for $2200.

8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Print out this thread and bring it to your local Lesco. Tell them Guido sent ya. After they look at you funny and scratch their heads for a while...........ask them if you can loan out a demo to try....if you like it, you'll know. If you don't like it, you'll know.

I'm not pushing Lesco over Exmark. I was always loyal to ExMark (when I could be) but I had aquired a few Lesco's and didn't have any problems with them. I think they're a good machine.

Why I backed up the comment on Lesco was because I wanted you to see you can get a larger deck/engine combo brand new for the same price.

Its worth a drive to your local Lesco dealer to take a look.

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

harper...--I have an older lesco that is tough as nails. whenever something wears out from use I always feel good about replacing it. examples: belts, bushings, pulleys, etc.

when I got the mower the blades were dull, the blade belts slipped and the belt drive pulleys were worn causing the drive belts to slip. I've since adjusted the blade belts, switched to high lift blades and replaced the drive pulleys. NOW ALL IS RIGHT WITH THE WORLD!

I've had this machine six years and it was used when I got it. so far no trouble with transmission or engine, except for two or three electronic ignititon modules. and they might have not been bad.

no tranny problems either. but motor and tranny are old and could blow anytime due to age but they have an incredible number of hours on them.

I grease spindles every day that it's used and the original spindles are still in good shape.

as for frame and front end arms belts and pulleys, I think there is little difference in yesterdays and todays 48 inch belt drive and I don't know of any stronger.

one difference is the safety switch handles which do seem cheaper today.

buy that lesco. I REPEAT...TWO YEAR COMMERCIAL WARRANTY!

GEO

10. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark's special pricing for the 36" metro with 15hp Kohler was 2k in my area. a few years ago the special was for the 12.5 kaw. 2k for a demo unit at exmarks special pricing that just ended is too high. 17-1800 yes but not 2k.

If i'm not mistaken that mower retails for 2200-2300 but exmark did have a special on it of 2k for a long time.

offer him 1800 or if you feel like spending the extra 200 for a few hours, then say 2k. I'd add about 300 to it and spend 2300 for a 15hp kaw NEW 03 metro.

Scot