1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

exmark grease fittings

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by draftlawncare, Apr 16, 2004.

1. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

help just bought a new exmark lazar z and lost the owners manual can anybody tell me where the the grease fittings are at for the spindles i have looked everywhere on the mower and cant find them any help would be great thanks JD
  2. Bugsy22473

Bugsy22473 LawnSite Member

Go to the Exmark web-site and download the owners manual or E-Mail Exmark and they will send you the Manual.
  3. draftlawncare

cant find a download on exmark site and cant wait till they can send me a manual i have already put 65 hours on the mower without greasing the spindles. and i have to mow tomorrow thats another 7 hours i really need some help here
  4. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

If you mean the blade spindles, there arent any. They are sealed bearings. The only grease fitting on the deck is the tensioner pivot point. The book says to release the belt tension and grease the pivot, then put the deck belt back on.
  5. xcopterdoc

Also.. the blade spindle bearings are warrantied for one year parts and labor and 3 yrs parts only.. regardless of hours.
  6. draftlawncare

thanks xcopterdoc i didnt want to run the mower tomorrow without knowing if they needed to be greased or not called saleman today he told me they where under the deck i was like what the he!!
  7. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

The blade belt tensioners zerk fitting points straight up. Just raise your "floor board" to get to it.

Make sure that you keep it well greased. For if the tensioner gets worn your idler pulley will twist and wreck havac on the belt. I have saw it happen on mowers that are less than three years old.
  8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Also remember that this zerk must be greased under a "no-load" condition. You must remove the idler spring to create this condition. Grease will enter the zerk even if you dont remove the idler spring, but the tension placed on the pivot point prevents grease from making completely around the bushing. I have found that removing the spring is one s.o.b., but have gotten more use to it over time and can accomplish the task with just a medium size flat head screwdriver. P.S. be carefull!
  9. xcopterdoc

make a spring puller from a new piece of pullrope and a handle. tie it around the spring and pull to release. better than a screwdriver.
  10. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

That's how I just did mine! Seems much easier and much safer, than a screw driver, ect. to me.

Anyway, just happen to think about all the discussion (and opinions) of the maintenance-free spindles. Some were replacing with spindles that had zerks. Some hated the thought of not being able to grease them. Some liked the maintenance-free.

Now after many years (and so many people using Exmarks), how have opinions changed? Never hear any talk on the subject anymore.
    (have never had a prob. with the spindles myself)