Exmark greaseable spindles

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by TJLC, Nov 27, 2001.

1. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an Exmark 48" hydro viking with greaseable spindles. I think it's a 98 model. I noticed when greasing the spindles that the middle spindle seems to take twice as much grease to fill as the outer spindles. Is this normal and on that model is it even necessary to fill the spindles until grease comes out or it this overkill? Thanks for any help on this.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

That is one of the reasons eXmark went away from greasable spindles. Who really knows how to do it and make them last? Takes the guess work out of it.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

TJLC,

It sounds like there are a couple of items we need to discuss. First you can have too much of a good thing. The recommended lubrication for your greaseable spindles is 2-3 pumps 1-2 times per week. In most cases two pumps once per week is more than adequate.

When you lubricate your spindles until grease comes out, your pushing grease through the seals of the bearing. This is normally not recommended because once the integrity of the seal is broken it can allow dirt and contamination to get into the bearing. A couple of possible explanations for one taking more grease than another is one has a better seal and it takes more pressure to push grease out and the other is that one spindle may be leaking some grease as it gets hot and liquefies the grease during normal use.

Hears a good example why too much grease can be a bad thing. Lets assume you lubricate in the morning until grease squirts out of the top or bottom seal. You run the mower all day and the grease gets hot expands and pushes a little more grease out. The grease that is exposed now collects dust, dirt sand etc. You now park the machine for the night and the grease cools down and contracts pulling a small amount of dirt, dust and sand into the bearing. These contaminants then increase the wear internally on the bearings eventually causing a failure.

If the seals are damaged you should still be able to finish out the season by simply greasing them every night when you are done mowing for the day. By lubricating the hot spindle before it cools down you can push a little uncontaminated grease out. Now when the spindle cools down and the grease contacts and it only draws in clean uncontaminated grease.

I would however recommend replacing the bearings and seals over the winter months when your mower is not in such high demand.

Thanks

Terry

4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Terry and 65 hoss, thank you for your help. I do also own a new 36" hydro viking with the greaseless spindles, much nicer. Again, thanks. I will take your advise and use it.

5. Dix

Dix LawnSite Member

Terry
    That is the best explination I have ever heard as to when & how to grease a spindle! I have heard everything from grease them every day plus one or two shots at lunch break, to what you suggest. However, I have never heard a decent, scientific explination until now. I used to think that a little grease outside the bearing would act as a trap to stop dirt from ever reaching the seals (sort of like a air filter precleaner). From now on I will follow your recomendation!
    Dix