Exmark Horsepower on 36 & 48" ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kona, Feb 5, 2002.

1. kona

kona LawnSite Member

I am buying my first EXMARK (gear drive) walk behind mower & can't decide on which Kawasaki engine to get!!
    - On the 36" fixed METRO walk behind (gear Drive)is 12.5 kawasaki enough? or is 15 hp necessary and why?
    - On the 48" fixed is 15 enough or 17hp?
    - Do you need more Horsepower when running a 36" or 48"floating deck vs. 36" or 48"fixed

THANKS for all your help!!!!!

2. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

Get the fixed deck 36" w/12.5 kaw. Enough power.

PS
    Just don't get ECS!

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 36" metro with 12.5 kawi. It is plenty of power. I run the mulch kit also and sometimes pull the sulky too.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 36" Metro. The 12.5 that was on it did have sufficient power but I swapped a 14 onto it and it has power to spare now and seems much "happier" especially when cutting tall grass, mulching thick leaves or pulling me uphill.

The 14 came off of my 50" Gravely. The 14 was not nearly enough power for the Gravely so I put a 17 on it with the same results as the engine swap on the Exmark.

You can either buy the mowers with the bigger engine and feel confident that you will have enough power to do anything you want or you can get the smaller engine and perhaps wish you had more power at some point down the road.

The floating deck does not use more power than the fixed.

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My 36" Exmark has the Kawi 15 twin and my 48" Exmark has an 18 Kohler on it. They both have power to spare, but I would rather have them that way then not enough power, especially if your pulling a velke or sulky, like I am. Good luck.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The 12.5 is a strong motor as has worked well on 36's and 48's for years. With the introduction of the 15 twin, the 12.5 isn't as popular. I would personally go with as big as possible. BTW Exmark doesn't offer the 17hp on a 48" fixed. Dont know why, but that is keeping me from going to Exmark over the SCAG :rolleyes: