Exmark HP burning grass (or me)

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Kevin13, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Kevin13

Kevin13 LawnSite Member
    from MA

Last year I bought a new HP with mulching kit at near the end of the season. It worked great. This year my lawn is burning where the tire tracks are. Am I doing something wrong or is it a combo of the heat and weight of the machine?

2. RichmondR

RichmondR LawnSite Member

Kevin --

I had a similar problem a few years ago -- its a brown area with brown stripes the same width as your tires extending from the brown area. It seemed to get worse each time I ran the tractor over that area. Also, it seemed to get worse in the hot summer months no matter how much it was watered. I ended up tracing my striping problem to a leaf spot fungus -- if you look closely at the grass near the edge of the brown area, you may notice that the grass leaves have spots of brown, with the ones in the striped area either being completely brown or close to it. I think it was called dollar spot. The brown striping was caused, I think, by the tires applying enough pressure to the grass to pick up the fungus and move it along the path of the tires.

Assuming you are not spinning the tires and simply killing the grass, you may just have the same problem. I treated the problem with a fungicide I purchased at Home Depot (the kind that comes in a bottle that you simply attach to the end of the hose), as well as using a thatching rake on the worse areas to pull up the dead grass (you cant rent a dethatcher if its really bad). Ultimately I think the problem was caused by the cheapie fertilizer that was being used by the fertilizer company and an overall thatch buildup on the lawn (probably caused by the same cheapie fertilizer). I went with a new company a couple years ago and the problem hasn't repeated.

Hope this helps -- good luck.

3. RichmondR

RichmondR LawnSite Member

4. Kevin13

Kevin13 LawnSite Member
    from MA

I think you may be right. I checked the blades again and they do look a bit like the picture in the link. Thanks.