Exmark, Hustler and Scag the "Worldlawnmowers"are coming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, Jan 27, 2011.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Dealer is quoting me $10-$14,000 for some ZTR's. I laughed hard and long. He called up about a great deal if I buy early; $14k for a gas ZTR. There is a guy selling Worldlawnmowers ZTR's for $5k w/a 27 Kawy. Hydrogear pumps etc. I doubt I'll buy one but what a price difference. If I buy two he can do a lot better.
    The reality is Commercial mowers especially ZTR's are extremely overpriced. At 8,10,12 and $14000 they are asking for this. Hence why Bobcat Exmark Hustler etc are making lower priced commercial ZTR's. Wether the chinese,americans or japanese it's irrellevent we are going to see competition. With bloated pricing and big profits I would not be surprised to see Ford ,GMC and Dodge making ZTR's. Why not the ZTR's are priced more than some of their cars with no airbags, computers etc we might just see it.

2. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

You get what you pay for!!!!!

3. twcw5804

twcw5804 LawnSite Senior Member

Not measuring up apples for apples. There is no way you are buying a 52'' exmark for $14k. My dealer with bid assist on a 60'' exmark for the 29hp kawi was $8800. The 27hp Kohler had an insane price on it that was a last years left over but seemed to me it was well below $8k. So really a 52'' is maybe $3k difference at the most and you have to figure what kind of dealer support your going to get frome exmark over world lawn. I would buy a world lawn for their 36'' because it wouldn't be my main mower.

Just like I looked at big dog mowers near me recently. It was in a go kart shop and they had it in the back room that wasn't even lighted. I'm thinking how are these guys going to take care of me? Mowers really aren't their thing.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Can you provide us the details on the big profits? Curious minds want to know.

5. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

I must say after a year of running a 52'' WL walk it was hands down the fastest retun on investment in all of our purchases in 12 years of business . we ran it for 1400 hours this year and besides blades and belts and oil changes it had NO cost of opperation then this year we seen Havener 48'' hydro walks with sulkies ( their version of the stand on units) for $3000 we will be using them from here on out for our low return locations.

6. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

3very so often you make a post similar to this one. It always is way over blown. I'm guessing the dealers quote you high because you are in there so often dreaming of a mower to buy. The fact is that you can buy a exmark/scag/ hustler 60" mower of $10k if you talk to the right people. Everyday all day long you can.

In your mind a wl mower on the same level of the other mowers mentioned? How do warranties compare? Any aftermarket parts? Are they a real dealer, trained, with good support?

How do you know scag has high profits? I would like to see a printed source.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

I've made some money with my Bradley/Havener walk behind for sure, they are actually solid. I will probably always have a Gravely as my main mower, but I have no problem having a Bradley as my backup/hills mower.

8. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I flip ZTR's every 2 yrs. I spend money so they know I'm serious. Yes I can get a gas ZTR for as low as $9900 but My point is that is ubsurd add fuel injection or diesel and costs jump quick, catcher system another $3k. I buy 60 inchers so I'm not talking about 48's. In my mind I don't know the quality level of World lawnmowers;niether do you. I've had Scags and Hustlers that killed me in downtime and breakdownsi n the first 100hrs. Every brand has lemons. This "You get what you pay for" is a slogan nothing more.They told me that in 1995 when I bought a fleet of Exmarks. My dealer shook his head and called them "Flexmark" And how there no Scag or Bobcat. I've owned a lot of ZTR's and dealer support is most important around here dealer support is so so at best. So I hate paying a lot to not have good support. For a great dealer I'd pay more. As for as the "Printed" profits of Scag I'll fax em to you. Use your brain add the components seperately and some of these #'s are just crazy.
    On a side note I think 2 cycle stuff is a great deal especially backpacks. Even under priced that is why I buy new two cycles every year.

9. GreenEarthLawnCare

GreenEarthLawnCare LawnSite Member

i checked out the world lawnmowers web site.. and the sure look like a mower worth 5grand haha i dont think id trade and exmark or a scag for one of those

10. twcw5804

twcw5804 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I'm not down for that ZTR but the walkbehinds are decent price and look good. I always have bought used 36'' exmarks for about $1000 and use them for 2yrs and then sell them for within $100 of what I bought it for. I maybe in the market for a 36'' again this year and I like the look of these WB. I especially like the mulch on demand like feature.