ExMark Hustler Gravely Bad Boy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Marque, Feb 24, 2014.

1. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

I do agree with what you posted. Unfortunately, not all stamped decks are created equal. When dropping down to this price level, I have to pass on stamped.

I 100% agree with your assessment on stamped decks and airflow. There's just no comparison.

I'd love to mount a 7-Iron under my X-ONE and try it for a few months.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Too funny!:laugh::laugh:

I was doing something else here and thinking that I'd like to mount a 7 Iron Pro deck under a Gravely 460 or SZ just after I posted that above, since my next Z will not be a JD unless something changes drastically to change my mind, but yet I love the 7 Iron.

What I was trying to point out, that at that level (you are right, and the steel for the deck is thinner) the decks will still be pretty much equal since both will be thinner metal.:)

3. ducnut

You need a Super HD, prototype a 7-Iron mounting system, and let me know what I need to do.

4. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Sure! I'll just go outside and pluck a large handful of C notes off my money tree and get right on that. payup:laugh: (would be nice to try to fab up though)

5. Marque

Marque LawnSite Member

The Hustler dealer finally has some for display/demo so I'm going this weekend to take a look.

6. Marque

Marque LawnSite Member

Well, I took a look at the Raptor and while I was in the dealer they showed me the Toro Timecutter SS5000, for about $3,000. This mower looks comparable to the Exmark Quest and the Hustler Raptor, but it comes with a foot assist. Has anyone had godd/bad experiences with the Toro Timecutter?

7. Marque

Marque LawnSite Member

Bumping this to see if I can get any more answers.

8. Marque

Marque LawnSite Member

I ended up getting a Toro MX5000 for $3,800. After test driving them all (not cutting) they all felt more of less the same as far as straight driving goes. I just couldn't get the fabbed deck out if my head so I felt better going safe and getting one that is. Plus, I really liked the Kawa engine and better Tran vs say the SS5000 or Gravely that I looked at. It's being delivered this week so I can't wait to get out there and really test it.

Thanks to everyone for their opinions and tips!

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Congrats on getting a new machine. I don't know if you ever came back to see my reply to you the other day or not. This doesn't matter now since you have already made your purchase, but regarding the fabbed vs stamped deck issue- If other manu's could afford the huge press it takes to stamp their commercial decks, you can bet your last dollar they'd be doing them that way too, for a variety of reasons.

10. ducnut

I'm not so sure it comes down to affording the press. I used to deliver sheet steel to foundries that stamped all manner of parts for different industries. The prospective client would have to pay for the dies and production runs. But, I would think it would amortize out in a very short period, given the cost of labor and the shear number of decks some of these companies spit out. It would be interesting the see how the numbers work out, as I may be wrong.

For sure, there are some advantages to them, as I've agreed to before.