exmark hydro filter?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kickin sum grass, Feb 16, 2005.

1. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

went to the local j.d./toro dealer today. I took the hydro filter from lazer z and had them cross it over to their filter. It crossed to the toro filter and then he punched the toro # into J.D. computer and it came up as a kohler engine oil filter in a j.d. box.
    does this sound right? Is the hydro filter the same as the engine filter on the 25 kohler. When I got home I compared the engine filters I have (vo-25 valvoline) and spun it on and it did fit correctly.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

It may be the same filter base which is why it fit but I think the main difference will be on the inside. Most all hydro filters are 10 micron filters and oil filters are different. I cant comment on the micron of the oil filters, I cant remember. I would be sure the filter I installed was a HYDRO FLUID filter, dont take a chance on messing up the hydro pumps and motors

3. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

that what I was thinking but was wondering if anybody else had heard of the numbers crossing. I will get a hydro just to be safe.
    thanks

4. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I beleive it was on this site...not sure. I read somewhere that the hydro filter has to be just that. It is supposed to clean or filter the fluid better than an oil filter. Maybe a search on here would bring it up. I really don't think that I would take the chance.

5. mikemerritt

mikemerritt LawnSite Member
    from MS

I know that the hydro filters we sell have a smaller micron and cost somewhat more than oil filters. Go with the hydro filter.

Mike

6. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

you need to get the oem filter or risk damage to your hydro system take it from a dealer if that system showes any sign of dry start hydro gear or parker ross will not warranty it.
    been there and done that

7. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Most oil filters were 40 micron(the size if a human hair). Hydro filters are 10 micron and fuel filters are smaller than that. Water molecules will not pass through some fuel filters.

8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the hydro filters flow the opposite direction from oil filters.