Exmark - Hydro fluid ever use anything else than 15w-50?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jason Pallas, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm having trouble finding 15w-50 Mobil 1 Synthetic to use in the hydro system in my Exmark Hydros (Lazer and HP). My local auto parts store doesn't carry it anymore and the one other place that I know of that did carry it - was charging about $9/quart.
    Does anyone have a good alternative for the Exmark Hydro systems? I know that Exmark reccommends Mobil 1, 15w 50 but.....

Any input is greatly valued. I know that you guys know your sh#t here and I really value your opinions.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I would say you could use 20/50 with no problems if thats available, That's what other OEM's state to use.

3. Jason Pallas

Thanks Rob, just to clarify, would that be ....20W50 Synthetic?

Thanks again.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, If you prefer running synthetic. Regular oil does a good job in a hydro system due to no combustion by-products.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I also found that places that formerly carried it no longer do so. I did find ample supply at my local NAPA store, about two months ago.

6. cranesrule

cranesrule LawnSite Member

Wal Mart carries it in the qt and 5qt jug.

7. Jason Pallas

Thanks guys - appreciate the help.

8. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to thread jack but just a little FYI, in a resent conversation I had with a rep/tech from Hydro Gear I asked the question about the regular oil verses the synthetic in the hydro systems and He informed me that the recommendation is from Hydro Gear per working with the manufacture and their specific requirements, so pump location, mower weight and test operating temps etc.etc. all combined tell them which oil is better for each application.

9. Jason Pallas

This brings me to another question: Does anyone know why none of the manufacturers reccommend using actual hydro fluid? Those of us who plow snow know that there is some pretty good (and expensive!) hydro fluid out there. You can actually get aircraft grade blue/hydro fluid and it's really $$$. Just curious as to why they don't reccommend hydro fluid. Anyone know?

10. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I've often wondered the same thing. My two Bobcats recommend 5w30 and I have heard others say that they just use actual hydraulic fluid. I have no idea why one is needed over the other or what the possible negative, or positive, outcomes may be.

Brian