Exmark hydro oil question.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by andy_ldr, May 19, 2008.

1. andy_ldr

andy_ldr LawnSite Member

I own a 60" Exmark lazer Z and was wondering if everyone else who owned Exmark's use the recommended oil 5W-50 Mobile One, and why? I bought this mower from and individual and he said he always put 10W-30 in it. It has 1500 hours on it and the pumps still work great.

Thanks in advance, Andy

2. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

I personally would put what is recommended in it but that is just me

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have an Exmark w/b, and have changed the hydro oil every offseason. It is now running its tenth season, and I've had no problem with either the pumps or motors. It has no hour meter, but I estimate it has over 6,500 service hours.

The reason Exmark recommends synthetic Mobile One is the heat of the oil during operation. I think most (all?) Exmark hydro systems run with one quart. This means there is very little in a reservoir for cooling. Other systems that run straight 10W-30, or 10W-40 motor oil (non-synthetic) have a larger reservoir, or some form of oil cooling. Having only one quart of fluid means the oil runs hotter than systems with a larger capacity or a cooler.

The tone of your comment is a synthetic vs. a non-synthetic, or so I believe. If I have read your post wrong, I stand corrected. Maybe your question is 5W-50 vs. 10W-30. That would be a different question. If one was to use synthetic in either weight, why wouldn't one use the recommended 5W-50?

4. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

. . . and the hydro system is not the place to pinch pennies. What's the price difference? A couple of dollars? Jeez.

5. LawnCuttingPro

LawnCuttingPro LawnSite Member

The eXmark Hydro resevoir is designed for SYNTHETIC...that's why it's Smaller.

You could use 10w30 Mobil1 or 15w30 Mobil1 Likely w/NO problems though.

6. xvxax

xvxax LawnSite Member

Yeah, it is $5 for a quart of 15w50, just bought one today.

7. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

is what's recommended. Why question it. Not like it's a great expense considering the amount of time you get out of hydro fluid.

8. andy_ldr

andy_ldr LawnSite Member

I did put 5w-50 synth in my machine. just wanted to know the pro's and cons. Thanks again everyone!!