1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

exmark/kaw power droppage w/ engaging blade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jnmaney, Sep 12, 2000.

1. jnmaney

jnmaney LawnSite Member

Have a exmark that drops pwr momentarily when engaging blades. Any ideas
  2. Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator LawnSite Member
    from NY

I have the same problem with mine, was thinking of posting on it too. Saw thread on engaging blades at low rpm to save clutch but when I engage at less than 3/4 throttle the engine stalls. This can't be good for it either, probably better off to smoke the clutch a little IMO. Other than this it has plenty of power, I've been mowing areas that haven't been mowed all year with no power problems. Just try to minimize the number of clutch engage/ disengagements I guess. Are you happy with it otherwise ?
  3. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

4. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

That will happen with my Kohler. Especially on the first lawn of the day it will sometimes stall out. after the first lawn it is OK though. The power is fine the rest of the day also. I guess my mower is a lot like me, it hates the morning.
  5. landscaper3

Its probly the electic engaging system our toros do it to
  6. Turf Kutter

Turf Kutter LawnSite Member

That is not good at all you might as well get a res mower then.You start it on high speed:D.I would suggest notifying exmark both of you and tell them the problem and ask why and what they could do and what you could do I`ve heard they are good with customer service or if you do not want to wait call em up on the phone and raise hell.:D
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The kawi on my exmark and my encore do the same thing. Its just the instant load put on it. You can still engage the blades at a lower rpm.
  8. landscaper3

Thank you 65 hoss thats what i was trying to say it is normal!!
  9. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you let your mower warm up good befor you engage the blades??
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Only from the trailer to the grass, then I go for it.