Exmark Kawasaki Engine Problem ZTR

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by atlj007, Apr 25, 2005.

1. atlj007

atlj007 LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

I have a 2002 Exmark 52 inck ZTR with a kawasaki FHV680 23 HP on it. The oil has been changed every 50 hrs or so including the oil filter. The mower itself only has 384 hrs on it. I was cutting the other day and the mower just shut off on me. The drive pulley under the seat like seized up and the belt slid on the pulley. The first thing I noticed was the smell of a burnt belt so I thought maybe I had broke my drive belt. I looked, it was on the pulley in the back and around all my blade pulleys fine. I pushed the arms out, raised the brake and turned the PTO off and tried to start it again. It ran for about 2 seconds then shut of again. This time when I turned the key, it did nothing. I called my local dealer, they said to try and jump it off the starter selonoid with a screwdriver. i pulled the rubber ends back and tried that..it sparked so i know the battery it good but the engine just like trys to move but doesnt. I swear its like its siezed or something. I just cant see how a machine like this with this little of hours can need a major engine repair now. Does anyone have any idea on what is the problem or what you can do if it is a seized engine? Can you rebuild or just swap them out? It has a clutch in it so you can spin the drive pulley freely. I pulled the plugs and the housing off the top of the engine and put a screwdriver on the sprocket on the top and I cant even budge it. That motor should turn. Am I screwed myself here?

2. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of oil filter have you been using and was the oil level ever over the mark? (overfilled). How did the engine run prior?

3. atlj007

atlj007 LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

i was using the recommended oil from the exmark dealership, a kawasaki oil filter also, it was never over the mark (overfilled) or anything. do you think its locked up?

4. atlj007

atlj007 LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

oh the engine was running smooth, never had a problem starting, a little smoke when you first started, but that is pretty normal.

5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

get the mower to the dealer asap. unfortinatly, you don't have a warranty on it.

right now, I'm going to assume that the engine is mechanicaly sound and I'm going to try looking at the electrical.
    just a couple of questions though. when you turn the ignition, do you here a click? do you have a voltage tester? perhaps your battery is low, it could have been just an over load on the engine and it shut of in combination with a weak battery. CHECK YOUR FUSES if you blew one of those somehow it would make it sound like it's dead.

6. atlj007

atlj007 LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

yup your are correct..there are 2 fuses under the seat..both 20 amp..i blew one...i replaced and got the same deal as trying to jump if off the selonoid..just a cink cink..the motor trys to turn but wont..i replaced the battery already.

7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

which one did you blow? the red wire, or the purple wire?

it may be possible that you have a safety switch problem. (the mower thinks that the pto is engaged, when it is not.) try pulling out the pto and putting it back in a couple times. is the engine cranking at all? if it's not, then I would try looking at the starter, but it shouldn't go in only 300 hours. you can't turn it at all by hand? in either direction? after that, it's probably a problem with the engine it self.

do you have employees? they have been known to run engines without an airfilter on them. it's possible that you got contaminants in through the fuel filter or through the air filter. the dealer is the person that will know for sure if it's mechanical. I would write a note to kawasaki after your dealer takes a look at it, and see if you can get a new engine out of them (yeah right), but it's worth a try. it might be good to tell them that their reputation is going down the tubes with lots of people because they are experiensing these engine failures at so little hours.

if your engine is shot, I would get a kohler engine. they run a bit rougher, but they are much more rugged IMO. although, I won't even get into the trouble I've been having with kohler lately.

8. atlj007

atlj007 LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

i cant remember which fuse it was, but you would think if you were jumping it off the selonoid then you would bypass all the safety switches..the actual relays, i believe there are 4 on there that will stop the motor from cranking, the 2 for the arms, the pto, and the seat. i just assumed all those were good seeing that the problem stayed the same when jumping off the selonoid. we pulled the top of the housing and pulled the plugs, put a screwdriver on the top and we can get it to budge either way at all. it is stuck completely!

9. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

It now sounds as if the engine over heated and seized. You said it smelt burnt.. The fuse probly blew to protect the starter.
    I would go to the dealer and really complain. If no luck there i would contact Exmark and Kaw. I would let the dealer do tests to find out what went wrong. Maybe they can work out a deal with the diagnostic charges

10. atlj007

atlj007 LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

well i jst got back from the exmark dealer, if they just replace the small block..800-900 dollars if the whole engine is scrapped they said just the cost of a replacment is 1900.00 not including labor. no luck on them cutting a deal..the warranty is up and "their hands are tied" is the expression he used. they dont do any kind of diagnostic check or anything..just a basic check after tearing the engine apart. well looks like i will be cutting for free for a while.