Exmark Kawasaki Engine VS Kohler Which is Better

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joyce lawn care, Apr 14, 2010.

1. joyce lawn care

joyce lawn care LawnSite Member

I have the opportunity to buy an Exmark 60" Walkbehind with 780 hrs with the Kohler for $3200 or can buy the same mower 1 year older with the Kawasaki engine. I've heard the Kawi engines have pushrod issues. I have an Exmark with a Kohler now and love it, no problems. Anyone have any experience??

2. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

Are you kidding! The Kawisaki is definitely a better engine. The only engine that can come close to a Kawie is a Honda.

3. Cboy7

Cboy7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Fl

must be nice in that bubble you live in!

4. +1 on that

hands down on the kawie

E

5. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

6. me and some friends have run them both 1200 hours and you can start planning on a new kohler engine.

4 walkers and 2 xmarks to prove it

i will always go honda or kawie when possible

E

7. Landscraper1

It is real nice now that all of my mowers have Kawies. I can tell you some stories of the dark years, in this bubble of mine. That's when we had many Kolhers and Briggs. Ewwww, makes me cry just thinking about it!:cry:

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well from all the years reading post on Lawnsite it's a toss up. When horizontal engines were most popular there were more Kohlers with 2,500 hrs than Kawasaki's. Kawasaki's did very well also but use more fuel on average. Both are good engines, both should last well over 2,000 hrs. Both have had problems with certain models over the years. I've never had a failure any of the Kohlers I've owned.

9. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

As a shop, we dont see many major failures out of either brand. What we do see on the kohlers over the kawis is small failures. Gaskets, carb problems, alot of crank shaft seals, ext.... The kawis have been more consistant on the quality of engint they put out. As a dealer I also perfer doing business with kawasaki, thier parts ordering is soo nice and I get parts quick and they are allways in stock.

10. Landscraper1

I do have 2 Billy Goat blowers with 8.5 Kohlers on them, that I have been very happy with. I found out later that they were actually Yamaha with Kohler name on it.