Exmark Know it alls! Which is Better Lazer Z or Lazer AS ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJB, Jun 24, 2008.

1. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I need a new Exmark Lazer Z. But I have been given a price of $8500 for the Exmark Lazer AS with the 60" Ultracut deck and 28 hp Kawasaki. Is this a commercial mower, it goes 1/2 mph slower than the Z and weighs about 200lbs less?

I need to know if it climbs up an down hills as well as the Lazer Z I own. Is it dependable ?

2. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Lazer AS and Lazer Z are almost the same except:

-The controls are between your legs like the older models
    -Different Tires (I think)
    -Smaller Fuel tank
    -Slower
    -Ultracut deck

Its basically a stripped down Lazer, but more like the older units than the 2004 and up ones.

The Lazer AS is great value, but the HP is supposed to be better if you want a 52" deck, it's supposedly more nimble and manueverable but I don't think that matters much.

Hope this helps.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Like I said in the other post here is a page to do a comparison if you want....
    The AS is commercial. I liked mine just fine except for the lack of power back then (23 hp).

http://www.exmark.com/comp_ride.htm

4. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

The AS has the Ultracut deck instead of the Triton. The Ultracut is lighter than the Triton deck due to 5.5 depth instead of 6 for the Triton. The Ultracut is preferred by a majority of operators on this site.Do a search, you can read for days.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

You can get the Ultra Cut on the 27 Kohler Lazer only at this time. I think the Ultra Cut will be available on more Lazer models eventually. Nothing wrong with the AS model that I know of, just fewer bells and whistles and all of the AS series have the Ultra Cut.

6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I saw that one last night on the Exmark site, but not 1 dealer I've talked to mentioned it as an option. I think they just want to sell whatever is lying around which I understand but is $8500 for the basic mower a good deal?

Still leaning toward the Bad Boy Lightning.

7. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

the AS stands for ADVANTAGE SERIES. Basically , it's a stripped down full size lazer at a valued price.

To be honest, many dealers seem to be selling more AS models then regular Lazers as of late based on price alone, unless the customer wants a liquid cooled, efi , or diesel, then they don't have a choice.

The 28kawi and 52 or 60 deck is the way to go. The start at around 8500-9000. Bagger additional of course.

Exmark brought back the 27hp kohler with the 60 inch ultracut this year, as they did the 23hp kohler and 52 ultracut on the lazer hp, because they were their better sellers over the years and customers demanded them. They are priced pretty well.

I feel going with the AS, you don't loose performance. Maybe a tad slower on the top end moving from point a , to point b.

8. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

The wheel motors are bigger on the lazer Z (or rather---the wheel motors are smaller on the AS). That is the only thing that would make me consider the 27/60 lazer over the AS.

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

The only thing that I have found with the smaller motors is they produce more torque and a little less speed. They have proven just as durable as the larger CC motors.

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I would go with the AS if it were me. My dealer quoted me some where around 7500 with the kohler engine 60" ultracut. The smaller pumps will give you more torque and draw less power from the engine. Only down side is they are a little slower than the larger CC motors. The ultracut deck has proven itself over and over and over again. We all know its a great cutting deck.