1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark Laser Z or HP?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I am shopping for another ZTR. I am looking at the Exmark Lazer HP. I like the mid size mowers. My primary mower now is a Hustler Z. Anyway, I have demoed the full size lazer and liked it, but it got cold and have not had a chance to demo the HP. I am looking at 52" cuts. My concern is the HP comes with the Trivantage deck and the full size Z comes with the UltraCut deck. How do these compare? If I do decide to go with the full size Z it would have to be 60", but I really want a 52". I need a little trim and the full size 52" has less trim.

Any thoughts?
  2. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Soupy, I have one of each. I have a 2002 Z HP 23 Kohler and just recently got a 2004 Lazer Z 27 Kohler. As far as the cut goes I really can't tell much of a difference. They both have 52" decks. I like the Z Hp because you can get into tighter spaces and under tree limbs alot better but I was wanting more Hp.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I think it all depends on personal preference. If you like Kawasaki's and offset decks, then the HP is for you. If you dislike offset decks, want big front castors, like Kohler, want higher HP, and don't mind mule drives, then the Lazer Z is for you.

There has been much discussion on compairing both 52" decks. I don't think there is a clear answer from what I've read.

PS- also be aware that the HP frame is now available with the 5.5" deep Turbo Force deck. The Toro Z450.....

4. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

i have a 44". does not stripe very well, dont know why. really like it. seems kinda small, but oh, well.

either one you get, you will be happy. i'd get the cheaper one. demo them again in the spring.
  5. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

my 60 didnt stripe good either,but a small deck pitch change and most think i have a roller.
  6. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I was trying to make the decision between the hp and lazer as well. I demoed an hp but didn't demo a lazer. The hp demo had a roll bar which really limited me. I tore up a couple trees and it is an uncomfortable feeling looking at the sky when the roll bar snags. It would have to go for my properties. I liked the bigger castors and engine of the lazer. The hp engine however was not the limiting factor. It was able to keep up as far as power. The deck was what limited my speed. Grass would be missed between blades at high speeds. This was high grass that had high water content. It basically cut the same as my tthp. I figure anything that wet or high would have to be double cut anyways to chop the clippings up so it doesn't bother me too much.

I demoed a full size husqvarna z (27efi hp 61inch). This thing was awesome. Full speed, 2.5-3 weeks spring growth and it went right through it. Engine worked hard but the deck was able to keep up. This is their commercial line not the Lowes homeowner line. I'm going to research their 52" models when i get a chance.
  7. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Scottish, The Lazer Z I just got also had the roll bar. It's only held onto the frame with 8 bolts. I took the rear tires off and had the roll bar off in about 10 minutes. No problem at all.
  8. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2003 Lazer hp with the 17 Kaw and the stripe kit. This is a great little mower and leaves nice defined stripes. If you plan on getting a bagging system then get one with more horsepower.
  9. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

I think you all missed it..............he is asking what the difference between a Triadvantage Deck and a Ultracut Deck is,that to my understanding would be what he based his decission on :cool2: :cool: :cool: :cool2:
  10. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Correct.... I am just curious as to the deck designs. I can not find much info on Exmarks site about the Trivantage deck. I wonder why they don't offer the Ultracut on the 52" + HP's.

I will most likely go with the 23/52 Lazer HP over the 27/60 Lazer. I have owned 60" and 52" ZTR's and 52" fits my properties best. I do miss the trim on a 60" but the 52" fits between landscape better and some gates that a 60" will not.