Exmark Lazer AS 52"/28hp KAW

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FIRESCOOBY, May 8, 2007.

1. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Needing some opinions on this mower.

Background:
    Currently own Hustler Mini-Z 19hp/52". In the off season I will most likely be buying a new mower with more motor. Want something with more power and deeper deck.

Early on, I am looking at either a HUSTLER SuperZ 54" XR-7/25hp KAW or EXMARK Lazer AS Ultra-cut 52"/Kaw 28hp.

My requirements:
    GREAT cut (of course)
    Hold hills well
    Stripes well
    reliable/durable
    Decent speed (10mph at least)
    foot controlled height adjustment (able to lift deck with foot for "high spots")

Is the 28hp Kawasaki a good engine?
    How does the Ultra Cut do here in south (Bermuda, Fescue, Zoysia)
    What kind of fuel consumption compared to the current 52/19 I have?

ANY more info you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

As for why only these two mowers:
    Lesco - Not real impressed with the WB I have now
    SCAG - Very expensive in my area
    Gravely - demoed one last year and was not impressed

That's pretty much it in my area.

Thanks guys!!!

2. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

I've got the Mini-z w/ 19 kawi. I know your pain about the motor. Today, I was offered to demo a 52" ferris. This thing has the 25 kawi. Very nice ride, and cut, and stripe lol. I am looking for a deeper deck though, as well as more power, we need to work on this together...

3. FIRESCOOBY

Yeah, the 19hp SU*CKS.

In my mind, I'm leaning toward the Exmark. I really like the Hustler, and my dealer is very awesome. BUT, there are some changes going on at my dealer...not sure how it's gonna end up.

My MAIN concern/focus is quality of cut. I see firsthand what some Exmarks can do, and I like what I see. My mower does well, but need more power, striping option, and deeper deck.

This fall when Fescue is thriving, I'm planning on getting both the Hustler Super Z and Lazer AS to demo at the same time...side by side. That will tell the truth.

Keep 'em coming.

4. Palmer'sLS

the cut is my main concern...I am NOT impressed by the cut of my hustler...even double cutting is splotchy

5. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the bargain of the year is the Advantage Series with the 28 Kawasaki.
    Cuts Southern grass just fine thank you.

However,

I also have a Hustler Z, which I like so I have performed the necessary transplants to bring her back in spec.
    New pumps/wheel motors. New front caster bearings and wheel bearings/wheels and tires.
    Engine fresh last year. 900 something showing on the hr meter I put on when I got the new 23 Kawasaki.
    I replaced the starter last month.
    That was the last straw....
    Well now...I bought an Exmark AS 60" 28 Kawasaki.
    You cannot afford to depend on a machine that is showing it's age.
    This Hustler starting out dollaring me, then ended up nickle and dimeing me. I should have sold her, and bought 2 Exmarks, but I just couldn't do it. [sentimental value?]
    So, with about 4000+something hours a 01 model, $3300 something dollars later she is as fresh as she can be. Even bought some yellow paint at Tractor Supply,[equipment yellow seems to be a perfect match] she looks real good at about 20 feet...lol. The seat bottom cushion is shot...I need to find out who made them for Hustler because the cushion cost over $100 dollars! Suspension seat.

I'd bought another Hustler if I had a dealer in my town so I went with Exmark.

The Exmark's cut is better than the Hustler's, when you compare them side by side.

But by itself, the cut on the Hustler is good enough.

The Exmark has enough power to handle just about anything, and with the Advantage Series being on sale, makes it the clear choice.

It does not have cup holders! Thats about the only gripe I have with the Exmark. I seems to me that the Exmark with the standard seat rides better than the Hustler with the suspension seat.

On the hill question, if you decide to go directly up a steep hill on the Exmark, as I have done on my Hustler Z, the front end will come off the ground. I don't have that happening on the Hustler under the same conditions.

kenny

6. Palmer'sLS

hey captken, about how much for that 28 hp machine...the ferris is around 8600..just looking for a guestimate

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

They basically brought the 07 Lazer AS up to what the regular Lazer Z's were.

Again I'll say... if you want an eXmark, it's the best thing they have going right now.

8. FIRESCOOBY

Bump to the top

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

bump back:waving:

10. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I made the choice of the 28 Kawi...A-S Lazer...with The Ultracut deck
    :) <-------Daner Grinnen...as far as grass types...I cut KB Rye...and fescue...oh and weeds ...show me a machine that cuts a slick as a Ultrcut and I'm eat my hat.
    The striper kit is back ordered as well as the OODC...i CAN CUT FASTER with this 60" lazer that I can with the 72 Zd.
    Ihavent done a fuel economy check yet...but It seems to be not too bad on fuel.:weightlifter: