1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

exmark lazer AS or scag wilddcat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdmcb, Apr 29, 2008.

1. jdmcb

jdmcb LawnSite Member

Im still trying to decide. I have to make a decision tonight because the rebate on the exmark ends tomorrow. The Laser AS 60" with the 28hp aircooled kawasaki is $7999, with 1.9 finacing. The wildcat with a 26hp LQ kawasaki with a 61" deck for $8999 and 0 % financing. I demo'd the exmark, but havent had time to find a scag to demo. I have about 3 acres to mow. I would like something that lasts, and can stand up to my wife's abuse.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

either mower would work for you. are you using it for home owner use? if so, get the one with the best dealer support, cause those mowers are about equal. the liquid cooled is for the heavy duty commercial users. they las longer than air cooled. scag is a great machine and so is an exmark. both are wonderful. go with the one that has the shop close by and has good dealer support. demo demo demo. just my 2 cents.
    hope this helps.
  3. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

If your doing just your house I would go with the emark. Either mower will take whatever your wife does to it.:dizzy: No worries on that, but being that you wont be dealing with 1' tall grass and in a rush to get 20 homes done a day I think the exmark will give you a higher level of cut for your home. Also I think the air cooled with a little less maintenance will work in your favor as you may not want anything more to worry about. Oh and its cheaper. Best of luck and let us know what you do.
  4. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

The Scag is built so that it can handle the everyday beating of a landscaping company. And the exmark is there for a more superior cut. I personally would go with a scag but i use it commercially and need a mower that can hold up to a beating. I am not saying that the Exmarks cant handle that abuse everyday but i stand witht he Scag's as a TOUCH machine!
  5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

That's a hard one, you really can't go wrong. I'm going to lean toward the Exmark but just barely. It is less expensive, the cut will be just a little better, and the air cooled engine is simpler to maintain for a home owner. Just blow it off every now and then. But I think you've made a fine choice if either way you go.
  6. jdmcb

jdmcb LawnSite Member

im willing to pay more for a machine that will last longer. We have about 3 acre lawn, but also have groomed lanes that are 30 by 1000 ft. I also have to mow the inlaws farm. Its all grass, but lots of rough ground. If the scag is worth the extra 1000, i would go that way. But if they are equal mowers, i would probably go with the exmark. Like i said, i have to decide tonight or loose the $1000 rebate and finacing on the exmark. Wish I had more time, but i leave for atlanta tommorow at 1300.
  7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I do think the Scag is better for the rougher stuff and the Exmark better for the manicured lawns. Not that the Scag does bad but the Exmark really excels on nice lawns. The liquid cooled engine should last 50% longer if you maintain it and keep the radiator clean. I wold give the liquid cooled Scag more points for durability but you are probably never going to wear either on out. It is hard to find any negative reviews on either unit.