1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark Lazer AS, Scag Tiger Cub, or Wildcat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greggt, Oct 18, 2008.

1. greggt

greggt LawnSite Member

Hey all, I'm trying to decide which 60" mower to buy. I know what qualities I'm looking for, but haven't had much luck in finding demos for the above models- the demos around here are the bigger Turf Tiger and regular Lazer. I'm hoping somebody out there has the experience to answer a few questions.

What I'm looking for: a 60" ZTR in the 1200 pound or less range that gives a good cut and rides as smooth as possible. I want to go easy on the lawns(lighter mower), but also easy on my back, as the reason I'm getting a rider is I've got a stress fracture in my lower back from buzzing around on a velky/sulky for the last four years. Also, these mowers will all(barely) fit on my existing trailer along with my TurfTracer 60.

My questions:
    Does anyone have experience on both the Lazer AS and the Tiger Cub?
    How does the ride compare, and/or which would you recommend?
    How about the Wildcat?

The prices I've found have been ~7500 for the AS, 8000 for the Cub, and 9000 for the Wildcat. All of them come with at least a 25 hp engine. The extra money for the Wildcat looks like it will buy a cushier seat and bigger front tires, which would be nice, but that's a pretty big bump up in price. I could buy the AS, spend some $$ on a suspension seat and some weights to keep the front tires from bouncing up so much, and still come out with a lot more money in pocket.

Any ideas/opinions/experience that anyone has to help make my decision clearer would be much appreciated. Thanks for the input, Gregg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i can say exmarks are very dependable. i have 4 of them, the AS looks good, the only problem i see is if the yard is soft, the skinny front tires may leave depressions moreso than the wide ones, the upgrade suspension seat from exmark is $500. i dont have any experience with the other 2 you mention.
  3. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I have owned the Scag Tiger Cubs 20hp Kohler 48" velocity plus decks. I would never own another Tiger Cub or Scag for that matter. The 20hp Scag Tiger Cub was underpowered, and the resulting issues were: daily clumping, constant double cutting, deck blow out, lots of daily cleaning (clogged) underside of the velocity deck. You should look at the BB AOS gas line 27 LC kawi 60" deck for $9,765 that would be comparbale to the Scag wildcat with suspension seat & suspension ride

Walker or Bad Boy for me
  4. greggt

greggt LawnSite Member

One more question I just thought of:
    If you've only owned one of these mowers, what did you think of the ride?
  5. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a bit upset by the prices you were quoted; I bought another Tiger Cub 48" w/the Kaw 19 hp for nearly $8k...

That's a huge difference.... :hammerhead: :dizzy:
  6. SomervilleLawncare

SomervilleLawncare LawnSite Member

I have a 52" Tiger Cub with a 25 Kohler and absolutely love the machine. I've never had a problem with any clumping in the Velocity deck. The mower gives a beautiful cut and is very comfortable. Do some price shopping though. I bought my 52" for $6700 a couple months ago. The dealer said it was only $100 more for the 60"
  7. joslawn33

joslawn33 LawnSite Member

I also own a cub 19 kawi bought this year no problems at all these scags with the velocity deck will smoke the competion period.:weightlifter:
  8. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Ok the 20hp Kohler Tiger Cub 48" velocity deck was underpowered, but I know the 19hp Kawi has more power:laugh: In southern grass's especially wet, thick or morning dew the Tiger Cub 48" velocity deck was a SLUG period

Coming from a ex Scag owner, Scags are unrefined in the comfort department, nothing rides worse than a Scag. Their is no reason to spend the extra cash on the Scags anymore "STOP THE MADNESS" not worth it in today's competetive ZTR market, Scag dealers have big heads too:laugh:. Take a honest look at the BB AOS gas line vs the Wildcat or the BB Lightning vs the Scag Tiger Cub. The BB's have more standard features, thicker decks 1/4" thick, stronger frames, higher HPengines LC or AC come standard. I just purchased the BB AOS 35hp CAT diesel, and have no regrets overlooking Scag's TT with a 28hp cat diesel for $15,000 . Their whole line is overated, overpriced, and have you hog tied for engine options:laugh:
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got the Scag Cub 61" with 25hp Kohler and flat free tires and the confee seat for $7300. And I have never seen a better cut and we use the unit with mulch blades and outlet closed. And we do a LOT of mowing right after the irrigation runs. We have never had anything else but can't image the cut being a problem and Ferris, Toro, Snapper, Exmark would not match the price so don't know who sells better. And the ride is fine......big wide tires and wide footprint seems to ride a LOT better than 48" units. We got 450 hours on ours and like it a lot. We don't cut cow pastures with weeds mainly grass.
  10. greggt

greggt LawnSite Member

It's a cool mower name, but I've never seen or heard of them here in CT- maybe they haven't reached this far north...