ExMark Lazer CT or HP best value for part timer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SonnyRyder, May 17, 2004.

1. SonnyRyder

SonnyRyder LawnSite Member

Hi all. Has anyone purchased the ExMark Lazer CT? What have you thought so far? I've read plenty of posts on the HP with good reports. Since the CT is a new model, I was hoping to get some feedback. I'm a homeowner with a 1 acre lot....but am seriously considering starting a part-time mowing business next Spring. I worked my way through HS & College with a $100 21"...call me crazy...but I like to mow. I have a pretty secure corporate job right now, but my wife works, makes more, and has better benefits, so I'm considering staying home Winters when our 2nd child comes along --daycare costs are outrageous...and of course I'd love to spend more time with the family. But, that may be a different post.

I have a new home and yard, and would like a nice mower that will last a long time, provide a good, quick cut, maybe even some stripes ;-), with the ability to step up to a 3-4 day a week commercial schedule in the Summer. I am waiting for an investment property to sell and have plenty of other things to spend the equity on....so I'm mindful of price. The HP would be an easy choice if it weren't for the extra $1,000 - $1500...that could buy a blower, extra trimmer, accessories,...or a nice trailer. Plus, my wife understandably looks at $5-$6500 for a mower as quite high...when I could buy a JD Garden tractor from HD for half that. I'm looking at a 48 or 52...unless a smokin' deal comes along on a 44 (seems a bit small...but would likely do fine on my own yard.)

There is also a Hustler dealer nearby, but I see the Mini Z only has a 4" deck vs. the 5" ExMark. I'd consider used...but there isn't much used to be found around here...the one I saw they were asking nearly what a new one would cost (high resale is attractive though). Any thoughts on what the best value for the buck would be for my situation? Any +/- feedback on the CT? Thanks.

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

My friend really loves his(CT 19/52). It's setting on my front porch right now, but I've never used it. 19HP does have torque. Think he gave 5,999.99 a month ago.

I like Hustler myself.

3. SonnyRyder

Thanks for the quick reply metro....I may demo a Hustler when I'm ready. I have 3 ExMark & 1 Hustler dealer within a half-hour...I appreciate the feedback.

4. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

i'de go with the lazer hp 48"if you ever out
    grow that get a full size lazer w/60" cut

5. IndyPropertyCare

IndyPropertyCare LawnSite Member

FYI.... the CT model is for residential service.....the HP ( high performance ) is for commercial use. Look at the spindels and other stress point areas to compare the HP to the CT model. Also if you are looking to save money and still get the commercial grade model,,,,look at the Lazer basic commercial model>>>less frills but same quality chassis and deck as the HP model.

6. SonnyRyder

From the ExMark website regarding the CT: "Designed and manufactured with the commercial quality you would expect from eXmark at an attractive value-price.

A great choice for both professional landscapers and estate owners who want the commercial performance, reliability and durability of an eXmark mowing machine" I did notice that they are lighter duty spindles....and the smaller tires & fuel tank. I'm not familiar with how these would hold up, but for the $1,000 difference...I think I could replace them a couple times if necessary. Your opinion is much appreciated though. Perhaps I'll ask about this on the ExMark Thread. I'm just trying to do due diligence...and am looking forward to some additional feedback from others who have compared them and or bought a CT. thanks.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The Lazer Z as (advantage series) is an entry level mower that Exmark makes to give you more bang for the buck. It allows you to get a basic model and add extras as you need them. Has the good deck and a choice of 52" or 60 inch cut. 20 or 23 hp Kohler. Price range from 6 to 7 thousand if you shop and compare.

9. SonnyRyder

Thanks all...especially Envy. I had been reading many threads and did a search, but I didn't stumble across that one. I haven't gotten through all the posts in it, but I like what I've seen. It's still going to be a tough decision.

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If you are considering mowing for money...............
    Go with the HP over the CT. You will not be sorry and it will be more productive.