exmark lazer died need help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mowZ06, Jul 12, 2013.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Alright, waiting to hear your response. I am hoping I have the same problem but here is what I have done.
    Checked battery, used new battery from our other rider.
    Checked seat, brake and lever switches and all check out. Have been trying to work through other electrical as I find time, hoping you will chime in and save me some time. Checked oil to make sure it was high enough to keep contact on that switch.
    Any other Ideas.
    No power to starter at this point but checked the starter solenoid and seems to check out.
    Looked at wiring schematic to see if there is something I am missing.
    Need to check ignition switch and pto.
    At a loss to this point.
    ????
    I have done the following

2. mowZ06

mowZ06 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I have also done all this. I am leaning towards a bad starter. What do you mean by > Checked oil to make sure it was high enough to keep contact on that switch

3. mowZ06

mowZ06 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Sildoc you must have a different issue. I have power to my starter.

4. mowZ06

mowZ06 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Sildoc one more thing > How did you check this with no power >>> No power to starter at this point but checked the starter solenoid and seems to check out

5. sildoc

Took starter out and touched leads to it from a live battery. works properly.

6. sildoc

Does it spin when key is turned? I believe I read you just heard the click from the solenoid on the carb.

7. sildoc

used ohm meter and checked terminals. All have power. Can arc with or without key on to get starter to spin. Hmm now you have me thinking......

8. sildoc

that click is to the solenoid on the carb.

9. sildoc

Low oil switch keep engine from starting. Not sure if it has anything to do with the starter not turning or just the fact that it won't produce a spark. Haven't researched that.

10. mowZ06

mowZ06 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Now we are getting somewhere. I did not know about a low oil switch. My mower does use oil. I have no idea where it goes on this one because it does not leak or smoke. After I got off my running mower and set the brake and letting it run while i went to truck is when mine died on me. The first thing I did was to check the oil and it was low, below the safe area. I added oil just because it needed it and has not been able to start it since. Can you explain to me more about the low oil switch. I will research it also.