1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

eXmark Lazer Frame Sag Fix (Need Help)

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by LouCal, Mar 9, 2006.

1. LouCal

LouCal LawnSite Member

We use two eXmark Lazer mowers, a Lazer HP 52" and a Lazer Z 60". Both suffer froim the effects of front frame sag, resulting in a significant (3/4" - 1") discrepancy in the actual cutting height versus the height indicated on the control.
    There has been much talk in the past about this problem, and even talk about a "fix" from eXmark, but I am unable to come up with the answer even through my local eXmark dealer. Can anyone offer the solution, either from eXmark or a do it yourself fix (other than modifying the label on the control) that works?

Machine #1, Lazer HP 52"

Model # LHP5223KA
    Serial # 302466

Machine #2, Lazer Z 60"

Model # LZ27LKA604
    Serial # 285805
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Great question Lou, I'll bet this can help a few guys.

We don't offer any type of correction kit or anything, but there are a couple of places for you to look at that typically lead to reduced cutting height.

1. Lift arm linkages. As you follow the lift handle/arm down, you'll see two lift linkages that connect the lift arm to the cross shaft. They are connected with clevis pins secured by cotter or hairpins. Wear in these links and clevis pins typically make up the majority of the height loss, which can be gained back by simply replacing them. Clevis pin p# is 1-808284.

Since your machines we've made a changed this set up a little to help slow this wear. We've gone to using a through nut and bolt with a bushing. The nut and bolt through the bushing form a tight fit to prevent wear, and the bushing itself ensures that it still pivots easily. You could make your machine like this, but you would need to drill the holes in the lift arm and cross shaft out in order to accommodate the bushing. I can tell you, this won't be fun. The diameter would be .656 (21/32"). You would use (2) 3/8 x 1-3/8" bolt with nyloc nuts, and the bushing part number is 103-1918, which you'll need two.

2. Tire pressure/tire wear. Not a lot you can do here other than raise tire pressure or replace tires. Typically it's the rear tire wear that causes the most issue. One of the things you can do to make up for rear tire wear is look at the front frame to engine deck connection.

3. Front frame to engine deck connection. There are six bolts on each side that connect the front frame to the engine deck. To make up for tire wear (or just general ht. loss) is to 'tent' that connection (^). What you do is loosen up those six bolts on each side. Now take a jack and raise up on the battery tray until the front tires just come off the ground. Now, in an alternating pattern,and alternating side to side) tighten those front frame bolts back up.

4. You can also get some wear in the lift handle itself. Unless absolutely necessary, I wouldn't replace these. What you do want to do however, is when setting the deck, make sure and take up that 'slack' caused by the wear. You'll put the deck on blocks and set your lift handle height with the pins. Now on the arm that the chains are bolted to, push down on them. While you're doing this have a pair of locking pliers in your hand. You'll want to clamp on that rod that goes from the rear lift arm to the front lift arm (the one that goes through that long spring) behind that welded 'ear' that retains the back of the lift spring...lost yet? It's pretty easy, and I'm sure you'll get it once you're looking at the machine.

From what we've seen in our testing, the majority of wear in the lift components comes from the time spent on the trailer. To greatly reduce this, try to get your operators to completely lower the deck down after they've parked it on the trailer. The one thing you want to make sure of if they do this, is that they have it all they way up when going onto the trailer, and raise it all the way back up before coming off the trailer. This will prevent the deck from snagging the trailer to gate pivot.

I hope this helps.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You can put 2by4's on the trailer where the deck will be lowered on to them. That way you know the deck is on something solid.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

In other words, frame sag isn't causing your lowering height problem.

I am cutting 1/4" (one hole) lower than what is indicated. I take this into consideration. However, most of my lawns are cut at ONE height anyway, so no need to change.

As Lenny explained, it's likely a combination of several little changes. From bolt and chain link wear, to lift arm bushing wear. It all adds up.

Nothing to worry about.

What is your main concern other than the measurements not being accurate?
  5. LouCal

LouCal LawnSite Member

Thanks for what you have provided so far. The wear is considerable, as much as 1" on the 60" mower. This reduces your maximum cutting height by 1", and makes the deck 1" lower when in the transport position, affecting the ability to make it over a sometimes unavoidably steep gate/ramp angle on the trailer. It can also be confusing, as some lawns on our route are done at different heights because of various considerations, type of grass, terrain, etc..
    We have been meticulous about tires (new), pressures and have set deck height and rake by the manual using very carefully cut blocks. We will attempt again using the above noted replacement parts, and report back what effect it has on the cutting height.

Thanks again for your help . . .

6. LouCal

LouCal LawnSite Member

Hey Lenny,

The part number that you provided for the clevis pin, 1-808284, is that an eXmark part? My local dealer has absolutely NO idea what this part # is. Thanks for your help once again.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If the wear isn't in the lift chains and adjustment bolts (everything here adds up), the next area that REALLY affects height is the actual lift lever arm (the arm you stop with the pin to set your height). There is a potential for wear there (you could even have a broken part in there) as there is some linkage in there that even a LITTLE bit of wear can equal a LOT when it comes to actual deck height.

What year mowers?

How many hours?

How much higher does your foot lift get your deck?
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Hay Lenny Happy Spring soon.

9. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

That is an exmark part #. Maybe your dealer did not type in the dash between the 1 and 8?
    Thanks Brian
  10. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

I have noticed the drop but its nothing major and i just raise it to cancel it out.nothing major, it has to drop another 2'' to scrape the trailer on the way up.Tires need to be extremely worn to cause this, usually just the pressure.