Exmark Lazer HP cutting out!

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by oleo, Apr 11, 2006.

1. oleo

oleo LawnSite Member

I have an exmark hp 23hp Kawasaki that is sputtering and shutting off after it gets warmed up for about ten minutes. It really likes to shut off when I have the pto going. I have spent $94 on coils put and with new coils in it and new spark plugs the POS still does it. The impulse fuel pump seems fine b/c I took off the line to the carb and turned the engine over it is impulsing gas. I know its not the safety switches. When it starts to sputter I can pull the choke and it is obvious it needs gas. The fuel filter is fine also, gas flows through it real well. I also drained the old gas from the pan. It is new gas in the tanks, the lil bit I had in the tank had stabil in it. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I called Kawasaki and they werent helpful one bit, very rude and arrogant saying it cant be from the engine. Check with exmark. This is so frustrating having a machine that runs fine for 10-15 minutes but then once warmed up, it just sputters and dies.

2. Talon1189

Talon1189 LawnSite Member

It sounds like you did everything except make a carb. adjustment. Sounds like you are running too lean to me.

3. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

Dont know about the Kaws but the Kohler has an electric selenoid on the carb. I had a similar issue and the problem was a loose wire on the back of the ignition key. Pull the panel and look behind there. Mine were loose and getting hot and killing the mower.

4. oleo

oleo LawnSite Member

Thanks for the comments guys. I will try to make a carb adjustment. If it was the solenoid which isnt cheap $95, would the engine even run? It starts up fine but once it gets warmed up that is when it starts cutting out and sputtering. This is when I will pull the choke and it comes back. It only sputters with quick movements going forward and backwards and when the pto is on. Seems like it really fails when full power is needed.

5. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

I know it sounds stupid, but did you check the back of the key switch? Mine was doing Exact same thing. I thought the selenoid was maybe bad, but it is hooked to the key switch which makes it kick in and out.

6. Partsangel

Partsangel LawnSite Member

Quote(10-15 minutes but then once warmed up, it just sputters and dies.)

Sounds like it might be a valve adjustment issue to me or a vapor lock in the fuel system? check and make sure your gas cap is venting properly and its always good to check your valve lash/clearance on a regular basis.

Thats my two nuts and bolts of info.

Mike AKA Partsangel

7. oleo

oleo LawnSite Member

I pulled off the key switch, cleaned it with my air hose and made sure the connections were clean and tight. Ran it for about 10 minutes and the POS does the same thing, sputters and dies. My dealer thinks it needs a new carb possibly. I really dont think it does because it would always run terrible if the carb was bad. I am going to tear apart the carb and see if there is some dirt or rust in it from the moisture and dust?

8. oleo

oleo LawnSite Member

Mike,

What is the valve lash/clearance?

9. Partsangel

Partsangel LawnSite Member

.004 Intake and Exhaust
    Im not sure of what model you have exactly but you might have to let your piston drop 1/4 inch past TDC to bypass the compression release system.

Mike AKA Partsangel

10. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

Are you getting juice to the carb selenoid, try a test light with key on and off.