Exmark Lazer HP Kaw 19 HP Power Problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by WigginsLandscaping, Jul 12, 2007.

1. WigginsLandscaping

WigginsLandscaping LawnSite Member

Exmark Lazer HP 19 HP 48" Deck

Problem started today or I should say we noticed it today.

When we start up the mower and push throttle to full power it seems like it is only going about half. ( This is what is sounds like anyway.) When we engage the blades it seems very slow and under powered.

Air Filter NEW
    I checked spark plugs. One had a little carbon buildup not bad the other hardly any however it did seem to be wet. I couldn't tell if it was oil or gas.

Throttle is mechanically opening all the way so not a linkage problem. I replaced both plugs. I did notice a little white smoke before the plugs were changed but not noticeable after plug change. Power did not increase at all with the change.

Engine maintained regularly and I have no problems with it at all.
    598 Hours on meter. What should l look for next?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Loosen the plug wire boots where they can be removed easily. Start the engine and with rubber handled pliers remove each plug wire one at a time to see if the engine shuts down.

I suspect it's only running on one cylinder (wet plug), Could be a dead coil or valve issue. Kawi Recommends checking valve adjustments every 300hrs. Has this been done ?

3. WigginsLandscaping

I was thinking valve problem since it had some smoke. Valves had not been adjusted. I will take to shop tomorrow and have it gone through. I am not sure how to check the valves. I have done many times on cars and trucks but never on a mower motor. I will check the coil first but since it is recommended to have the other done anyway it wont hurt to take it in. I have another just like it with a couple of walk behinds as well so I can make do for a couple days without it. Thanks....

4. WigginsLandscaping

Is there an online manual that would descibe the procedures for adjusting valves. If it isnt too complicated I would like to learn the process so that I can do it in the future. I do most of the maintenance on my equipment myself for time saving purposes. Thanks again.

5. Restrorob

Will this work ? Not sure about the whole manual....

[​IMG]

6. WigginsLandscaping

Thanks...I think we found our problem. I did the spark plug test. Sure enough we pulled one plug wire off no change...Replaced it pulled the other off. It died with a loud boom backfire. So fire problem..I am thinking. But while I am at I am thinking might as well pull the valve covers and check the valve. I pulled the left side cover off and push rod falls out. Needless to say I have a buddy coming over tonite to show me how to maintain the valves. Thanks for the help.

7. Restrorob

Good deal, You may save that trip/money to the dealer.

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Ignition coil on the dead cylinder is shot.

9. WigginsLandscaping

So you think we may have two problems???? I hope not. We'll see in a little while for sure though. Restrorob you happen to have a sheet on the coils. I cant imagine they would be a problem but wouldnt hurt to have the information on hand.

10. Restrorob

Evidently maniac didn't comprehend this part of your post.

Continue with the push-rod repair and that will most likely solve your problem.

But I do have this anyway;

[​IMG]