Exmark Lazer HP vs. Lazer AS

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by CincyWolf, May 9, 2005.

1. CincyWolf

CincyWolf LawnSite Member

I'd like to hear opinions on Exmark HP vs. the Lazer AS models. I've searched and haven't found a good discussion on this. The full frame AS with the 52" Unicut deck seems like more value for the money than the HP. I have a chance to get a new in the crate 2004 Lazer AS with a 20hp Kohler for a very good price. I can add the deck lift pedal and get the Kohler/Donaldson air cleaner kit and put it on myself. I don't need a cup holder.
    So:

- What are pros/cons
    - Hill holding differences
    - Is 20hp enough
    - Mulching

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If 52" cut is all you want, then go with the HP with the 23 Kawi.

Nice compact machine.

The AS is more of a PITA then it's worth. It's a stripped Lazer, and 52" on a fullsize Lazer just isn't all that desireable.

3. CincyWolf

TLS - Thanks.
    Why do you say the AS model is a PITA? I know the HP is a very good machine but why is it more desireable with a 52" deck (beyond compactness). Does it handle or hold hills better than the full size lazer. The AS does have 10.5 in wide tires while the HP has 9.5".

I'm just trying to learn so certainly value your opinion.

4. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

The HustlerZ is your best choice because of the hills you mow. The Lazers,especially the HP, don't hold nearly as well as the HustlerZ will.

The SuperZ is in a class by itself, and if you want the best get a Hustler SuperZ. The HustlerZ, however, will prolly last a homeowner a lifetime.

edit: This reply would have been better on your other thread,Wolf, but the answer is the same !

5. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree with Tider on this one, The Super-Z handles hills great. As far as the cut quality goes,if you have the Super-Z set up right it will cut with the best of them. If they were the same price I would still get the Hustler because they will last longer in my opinion.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, just been looking at them myself. Personally, I say, if you are not going to go with the Lazer Z to get the 25hp or 27hp Kohler, just get the HP. There is no other reason not to.

The Lazer Z AS is stripped down. The tire package sucks. Skinny front castors on a bigger heavier machine, lousy gripping tires out back. Plus the styling is old. After 2 weeks you'll look like you are running a 5 year old lazer.

But the big deal is the heavy duty air cleaner. Those are not cheap... just for the parts kit... much less the shop charges to be paid for the total upgrade.

So I say if you'd want a full size lazer... spend the money up front and get the Lazer Z. I bet the filter upgrade costs more than the price difference.... plus with the Lazer Z you get all the other stuff and a more powerful motor to boot.

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

You won't be happy with a 20 horse motor on a 52" deck.

A lazer AS does not come with a 20 horse motor.......
    Only the HP comes with a 20 horse motor.

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

If your getting a 52" get the HP, it has all the features of the big boys, the AS is just a replica of the 1st 1995 Lazer Z, I have one.

9. CincyWolf

Thanks for the replies so far. The Lazer AS the dealer has is a 2004 and it has a 20hp Kohler without the HD Air Filter. It sounds like a 20hp is marginal for a heavy machine and mulching.

You guys are saying that Hustler models will hold hills better than the eXmark. Has anyone driven the Lazer AS and a Lazer HP on a hill to compare?

You are also saying that Hustler cut quality is fine if set up properly. How about mulching? Also, how important is it that I hold out for the new deck design? Does it make a difference on mulching or just for standard cut and disperse?

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

20 horse is not enough for anything other than homowner use in my opinion..........the 23 horse on a 52" HP is just making it and I'd prefer to see a 25 horse on it.

We run the lazer HP, Lazer, Lazer XS..........all do well on hills with the HP being the lesser of the three for reasons relating to tire width and weight distribution.
    I used to personally cut a retention pond with an HP.
    Saying a Hustler is better on hills is nothing but brand loyalty, unless you're speaking of a machine built specifically for hills which I believe hustler has.........other than that most ZTr's are pretty much the same given equal environments and equal specs, such as tire size and weight............

Cutting on any hills requires knowledge and operator skill, it's not for beginners.............