exmark lazer is backfiring

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by username81, Apr 24, 2007.

1. username81

username81 LawnSite Member

Hi,
    i have a exmark lazer with a kholer 2 cylinder engine, its been backfiring and loosing power. its not really backfiring as much as sputtering i guess or it does kinda make a pop sound as its running. any ideas what it could be? i repalced plugs, air filter and sprayed this Amsoil spray into the intake to clean the carb/engine. it kinda fied the problem for a week but now its back.

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Try changing out the plugs.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Could be water/trash in the carb....

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess I can't read. I see now you changed out the plugs. Restrorobs onto it.

5. username81

its almost as if it were running with the choke on, is the carb. adjustable? maybe its running too rich?

6. Restrorob

Take the carb. off, Tear it down and clean all ports and passages with carb. & choke spray cleaner with the little straw. Check the float needle valve for a wear ring around the tip and replace it if so.

Some of these carbs. had a low speed adjustment on the top but no adjustment on the high speed where it sounds like your problem is.

7. username81

is there a DIY around here for the steps to removing a carb and dismantling?

8. Restrorob

Yeah, It's me but gotta get to work right now !

9. Restrorob