Exmark Lazer: Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RyanCanMow, Mar 18, 2001.

1. RyanCanMow

RyanCanMow LawnSite Member

I recently found a 1999 Lazer Z 60 inch cut. It has a 25 Kohler V-twin, and it has 1000 hours. It is supposedly in excellent shape, except the starter has a problem that would require a little attention. The seller is asking $3900 for it. Is this a good deal or am I wasting my time by looking at it more closely? I really could use the larger deck width, so is it a good deal or not?

Thanks, Have a great day!

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Lets see...how do I put this...

YES! That is a good price. About 1/2 price for the mower. But, you must see it first. Check it out closely. Have a professional look it over.

3. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Ryan thats a great deal but just make sure you are getting what you think you are. There are times when people disconnect the hour switch and the newcomer can not really tell and he gets majorly screwed. I have friends that got screwed thinking they were buying 1000 hour machines and they ended up having to replace pumps and hydro motors and spending thousands to a dealer and waiting to get all this done. Just do everything you can to have him prove it to you that its that new. I would as him for reciepts and what dealer he goes to and who works on it and so on. And then get a real pro to look at it. That looks like too good of a price for that machine but you never know some people are giving away deals sometimes. Good luck i hope you get a deal on it.

Bedros

4. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Wait a minute. The starter has a problem. Does that mean you can't hear and see it run until you buy it and fix the problem?

5. RyanCanMow

RyanCanMow LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feed back, but the guy said that the cylenoid on the starter wasn't working, but it could easily be replaced. I don't know exactly how much that would cost, however.

How many hours does a typical Lazer Z last considering it is well-maintained?

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I would think it should last at least 2,000 hours IF it was maintained well. I feel I maintain mine well and if a starter was so bad I couldn't start it to show a buyer, I wouldn'd even advertise it until it was replaced. Maybe this is a sign it wasn't maintained well. I would want to hear it run before I bought it though.

7. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

Haven't there been some problems with the 25hp Kohler?