1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark Lazer owners respond

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdubb44, Mar 5, 2012.

1. jdubb44

jdubb44 LawnSite Member

I just sold my lazer z that was like 6-7 years old it had the 27 horse kohler command engine. Im thinking hard about the new lazer z ( x Series ) 29 horse kawi engine. For the people that have made this move already can you tell me what to expect with this new mower and engine ( Fuel consumption difference, Cut quality,comfort etc ).... Thanks for the help !
  2. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at the Lazer z x series with the 27 Kohler, how did you like the engine?
  3. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I have two Next Lazer Z's. A 34 hp and a 29 HP. They cut great but are not fuel efficient. At least two gallons an hour depending on what you are cutting. But they will cut anything. I suggest you get the suspension seat as the ride is rough without it. But I would own nothing but an Exmark. PM me if you have any questions.
  4. 944own

944own LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought my lazer x series last year with the 29 kawi and at first I was getting like 2 gph at best and after it hit 50 to 60 hours I saw a huge improvement in fuel consumption. Now it seems like no matter what I am cutting I keep up with it on every tank and I get right at 1.4 gph in any condition and the cut is second to none. I have had no problems at all so far (knock on wood) and the mower has about 150 hours on it. Still on original belts and blades. Just keep the blades sharp and they seem to still have much life left in them. The manual says change the air filter at 200 or 250 hours but I changed mine at about 125 just because it looked dirty. I changed the oil and filter at 5 hours with 10 w 30 conventional valvoline there after I have changed the oil and filter every 50 hours with 10 w 30 mobil 1. I would not hesitate to buy another one. Good luck and if I can answer any questions feel free to ask. One more thing as far as comfort you will not find a more comfortable seat that is one thing I like I am a big guy 215lbs and it feels like I am sitting in my recliner but the rubber grommets really make no difference on the seat it should come with a suspension seat. So the ride could be smoother but I am not one of the guys that really cares about speed and I just slow down. Im more concerned about cut quality than speed. I have not tried the suspension seat but that might be a option you may want to consider. I got the dealer to throw in the stripe roller and it stripes great and it should without it also. Also I paid $9500 plus tax with 0 hours on it but mine was actually a 2010 which is not actually the x series but it is the exact same mower as the x series without the x sticker on it.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well then I assume you know all the characteristics of the Ultra Cut decks so I won't waist you time talking about the deck. I have the same 29 HP Lazer Z X series. The Suspension seat plus the isomount suspension give it a much better ride and I can't emphasis that enough. My dealer allowed me to trade in the stock seat and I gave him $300 difference which includes mounting for a total of $10,300 (with the suspension seat). It is one of the best balanced mowers that I have been on. The controls are very smooth and I often will use it in area's that are delicate and tearing the turf is a concern. It also is one of the best hill mowers I have been on, it will keep up with my Turf Tiger on all but the steepest grades and will go forward down a hill with out sliding or loosing traction (in fact it's the best at going over a hill forward than any machine I've been on including standers). It is a very agile, fast, high tech machine and there have been very few reports of problems. As I have said in the past the Ultra cut throws clippings a long way and will clump more than a Scag Velocity but it leaves the table top cut that you are no doubt aware of. Good machine, wish the deck discharge was adjustable but thumbs up other than that. All Kawasaki's seem to drink fuel and the 29 is no different. I am thinking I was getting about 1.7 gph which is more fuel than my big block Briggs usually uses but the engine is very smooth and powerful. I would recommend it in all but wet overgrown conditions.
  6. jdubb44

jdubb44 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the good info ! Hopefully people keep on replying I want to be as informed as possible.
  7. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

I have a 2010 29 kaw . The engine was very noisy (valve train) but had good power. Used about 1.4 gph. Engine blew at 660hrs ,KAW replaced and new engine is much better than the old one. Haved not checked fuel consp. yet only put about 100 hrs. on it. Seems like it uses less fuel than my old one.
    Also have 38h Kohler, it likes fuel. Anybody notice the higher fuel prices get the more fuel they use ?
  8. willowick

willowick LawnSite Member

I have that with a 60" deck. No problems yet but only 90 hours on it so far. It seems to like its job. Rides kinda rough. Gets the job done well and contrary to what I read here, I think it's built well enough.
  9. jdubb44

jdubb44 LawnSite Member

my old exmark was a rough ride, but cut great
  10. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

Does 9900 sounds right for this mower? X series 52in cut with 27 Kohler?