exmark lazer stalling downhill

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by sailinstud420, Jun 5, 2008.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

my lazer is intermittently cutting out/turning off when going down hills, also seems to do it when you pull back hard on the handles to slow down.... Does not seem to be common to one handle or the other.

Any ideas why? Isn't there a low oil sensor? It is full, but is it possible this is bad?

2. sailinstud420

bump, would be nice to have a few things to try for tomorrow....

3. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

very odd....

start simple, take the fuel filter off, try blowin through it, is it easy or near impossible? lots of times stalling problems are simple as too much grass in the tank

is it a horisontal or vertical engine? ive heard of vertical engines stalling going down hills on exmark TURF tracers but thats cause valves are in front face of the machine, would have to be suckin a lot of oil and blowin TONS of smoke before itd choke out the motor

oil level alright? are you taking it on some sick hills? try unplugging the low oil sensor (if so equipped) on my little wonder blower and the honda it always is gettin used on crazy hills and will stall unless i unplug the sensor

4. sailinstud420

can't be fuel filter, too isolated to going down steep hills or stopping fast, like the oil is sloshing forward...

vertical engine, if I unplug it will still run, or does it then think there is no oil and it wont ever work?

This has to be a common complaint on the newer lazers ('06 Kohler 27 hp) if the old ones weren't equipped with this cause these hills aren't that steep.

Anyone else have a couple cents to throw at this?

5. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Is the fuel tank close to empty when this happens? Maybe the gas isn't able into the fuel line when it goes to the front of the tank.

6. sailinstud420

nope, fuel is full

7. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

up until a couple years ago, all the ztr's were equipped with a mercury switch that if the machine was tilted too much, it would shut off. They took these off the machines and have kits to remove them and send them back to be disposed of. What they found is it was more dangerous to have the machine stall on a hill, then it was to let you have the ability to manuever to get it to safety.

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Check the cut off connection safety switch under the seat. Maybe clogged with dirt

9. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

SilverstreakincWrote:'lots of times stalling problems are simple as too much grass in the tank'
    -----------
    ALWAYS remove extra grass! You may proceed with any other pesky uncombustionable weeds too :)
    Couldn't refuse that one sorry.

10. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Hey SS, I'm working on an old Lazer that runs great at my place, (mowed 3 acres without a hiccup. The complaint is starving for fuel, dies let it set a few minutes and starts up and runs fine, no itermittent fire, spark, checked fuel solenoid, coils, etc. T'd the fuel lines, no more switch selector for L or R side tanks,both sides drain equal, still a fuel starve, I'm going to relace fuel lines and filter (larger 75 micron openng) after reading a post here about a fellow who tried a bunch of the usual stuff on a Sears Craftsman just like my tug tractor and come to find out the wrong fuel filter was put on the machine. The post was on here a couple of days ago,any how I'm pulling the fuel tanks and cleaning them, new fuel lines and filters, I'll post later next week after it's out working, keep us posted. C'ya