exmark lazer stopped and won't start

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by trussell, Aug 17, 2005.

1. trussell

trussell LawnSite Member

i have bought a used mower earlier this year and has been running great and then today went out for about 20 min and the mower just cut out on me and now i can't get it to start back up it has plenty of gas when i turn the key it feels like it won't turn over what could be the problem?

2. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

If it wont turn over I would start with the battery

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Could be a bad regulator or magneto that isn't recharging the battery too. Have them checked as well.

4. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

He's right start with the battery. If it has been cranking good up to this point, but it suddenly died while mowing, my guess is it's a switch....the question now becomes, which one?

Make sure when starting that the brake is on, the mower switch is off (in) and the control handles are in neutral and all the way out.

An easy check is the two fuses you'll find just under the seat. There should be 2-20amp automotive style fuses, make sure they are good. Check all connections that you can for anything that might be loose or disconnected.

I had this happen to me about 2 weeks ago. I would turn the key and it wouldn't even click. Turned out to be a Delay Seat Module (12.00). It's under the console.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with what ^^^^^^ said

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

My reccomendation is to make sure the engine is not frozen up. Try and turn the crankshaft by hand.

7. GR8LAWNS

GR8LAWNS LawnSite Member

every now and then I had the same problem with my lazer...ok twice...both times it was the parking brake saftey switch...jiggled it the first time and it started...replaced it the second time....no mo problem

8. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

If it stopped while cutting and hasnt turned over yet, I would check the PTO switch. If it goes bad your mower will think the blades are engaged and wont do anything. I have 1200 hrs on mine and have had 2 replaced. Its under $20 and takes about 10 minutes to change out.

9. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

check to see if you have 12volts at the battery. if you do then it is a safety switch. make sure your control arms are open and brake on and blade clutch off also check seat switch. if still no luck look at the fuses. you should have 2 of them. if battery is lower than like 9 volts, your battery is not strong enough to turn it over. so buy a new battery and also make sure all your wires on your regulator are on. one time one fell off mine and i ran out and bought a new battery. so check that to

10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

safety switch or regulator most likely. might also check battery ground wire or battery. guys truck wouldnt start recently cause ground wire had dirty connection.