Exmark Lazer Vs. Toro Z Master 280

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gunpowder, Jan 17, 2003.

1. gunpowder

gunpowder LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I am a manager for a not-for-profit park that trades mowers every year. I have had a 1999 Exmark Lazer 25hp52", a 2000 Lazer25hp 60", 2001 Lazer 27HPLQ 60", and a 2002 Lazer 27HPLQ60". I am the only employee so I ran the above machines.

I have sold my 2002 mower and was all ready to go with EXMARK again but one of my directors recieved a quote from a local Toro dealer for a Zmaster 280 configured the same (27HPLQ 62") for a little less money. I have checked the machine out but am still not convinced one way or the other.

Never had much problems with the Exmark but the best Exmark quote is with a dealer over an hour away while the Toro dealer is 10 minutes!

I would like to talk to someone who is familiar with the two machines and especially with the Toro SFS deck. The major differances to be concerned with I see is is the deck (deepness and guage of metal differs. Toro dealer claims they have more welding), the seat (deluxe standard on the Toro in the Z280), the frame (Guage thickness), Z stand on the Toro, and blades (Atomic/Gator vs. excalabers).

Resale value is extremely important to me as I trade every year and considering the factory not-for-profit discount have sold every machine for the price of the replacement! I usually have very low hours on the machines at the end of the season.

I like to stretch my mowing to every other week so grass may be tall and I have also been known to mow in the rain (wet grass).
    Yes, I know Toro bought Exmark.

Has anyone had experience with both machines?

2. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

Alot of guys really HATE the SFS decks. I know one guy in particular that used to be a member here that had one and got rid of it mid-season because it cut very poorly. The word on the street is that the eXmark is about the best there is...it's all up to you...but my vote is for eX...

3. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

The only difference between the Ex and the Toro is the deck. I've got the SFS deck set up for mulching and it works fine for me. If the deck ever goes however, I'll probably hang a welded deck back on her. When I bought the Toro I got the garbage about the frame thickness being greater on the Toro than the Ex. Of course I got the same argument when my wife bought her Chevy Blazer as opposed to the GMC. The GMC dealer said the frame was heavier. True is they weighed within 50 pounds of each other. For resale value, the Ex is probably better because of popular opinion.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

5. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

same mowers made by the same company! decks are different!
    i bet if you give toro a few years everything will be the same, accept the names. maybe exmark might have another cup holder!

6. If you read the other thread, don't forget the stickers, the Exmarks stickers make the mower that much better too.

7. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

ahh yes i stand corrected lawngodfather...the stickers most diffently the stickers!

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Ex-marks gets my vote, just wish the price would come down a little. They have get monthly payments options though.

9. Haha I was just adding to what the other thread had to say. LOL

But yes the stickers, they deffinatly make the mower.

10. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

SFS doesnt recut the clippings - in wet grass advantage SFS
    ULTRA recuts clippings as they travel through the deck - no long clippings to untidy the dry lawn - advantage ULTRA

Different strokes etc.

Have had TORO for a few years only need to double cut the fussiest lawns occasionally.