1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark Lazer w/23 HP Kohler?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scooter_p, Jul 2, 2003.

1. scooter_p

scooter_p LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner with just over 3 acres. I am looking at the Lazer w/60" deck. Does the 23HP Kohler have enough power for that deck size? I'm also looking at the Hustler Z w/25HP Kawasaki. Both are essentially the same price. Would I be better off opting for the Hustler since it has the bigger engine or will it make that much of a difference?

Thanks for the advice
  2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Lazer 60" with 23 k. It does very well on any of my yards form 10,000 sf to 450,000sf even in tall grass.
  3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The extra hp will come in handy in long growth.
    I have never heard any one complain they had to much hp in a mower.
    The Hustler will also give you more features for your investment.
    Compare the units side by side and feature to feature, then demo both, you will find which unit is best for you.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Tall Grass is What The Ultracut Deck LOVES!!!!!!! Take it from Me Living in Connecticut, This spring The Lazer Out Preformed them All!!!!!

Do a Search On Cutting Tall grass, You Will See what was said about the Ultracut and The Yellow Mower.

img_0429 resized.jpg
  5. Piedmont Lawn

Piedmont Lawn LawnSite Member

John do you run a bagger on any of your eps Lazers ? Reason I ask the local dealer told me they were having problems pulling the bagger and going up hills.....Not enough power I guess.

PS this was on the 72" deck.

Sorry scooter_p I don't mean to thread hog.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Hi Kelly
    Yes I Have Tried The Bagger and I Love It. I Have No Problems with hills, Low Branches. I Do only Run The 26Kohler FI's they Have a Little More Power for The Type Of Grass We Go threw Here.
    I Relay Like how It Packs The Grass In there. It's easy to Empty In the Back Of a Pick Up To.
    If you Need anything else Just Type.
  7. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 23 hp 60" cut and It cuts excellent. I have had a Snapper, 2 Toro's and now 2 Exmarks and the Exmark is the best cutting mower I have ever had. I am sure that the 27 hp is even more awsome but for the deal that I got I am trully a happy camper. I run the Ultra Vac as well and I have no complaints. There are some times in very thick overgrown grass I have to slow down and wait on the engine, but its not very often.