Exmark Lazer XS owners?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TAZ, Aug 9, 2006.

1. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Few questions for ya.

How do you like the mower?
    Is the weight increase over the standard Z that big of a deal?
    Do you like the 31hp big block?

Thanks,
    -TAZ

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The 31 horse motor runs well so far.........600 some odd hours I believe.......

The extra weight is a bit of an issue during the spring when things are soft and wet but overall it is a good machine.

It does hills pretty well.

3. TAZ

from Ohio

yeah that is what I was thinking of also. To me with a Z weighing in at 1100/1200 and the XS coming in in the 1500 range causes me to question it. The 26" rear tires offset some of that with a slightly larger contact patch but the casters are the same.

I have an opertunity to score one at a really good price with the 05 ultra cut. I am just wondering if the weight is going to be a big deal.

-TAZ

4. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

It's not a big deal on larger lawns, but I wouldn't run it on 1/4 acre lots, too much compaction on small lots.

The newer caster wheels are a bit larger than the old ones.

Bottom line, it's an acreage machine, not an in town lot machine.

5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I've put about 175 hours on one and it's an incredible machine. The 31 HP is awesome, but not with $3+ per gallon for gas.

Being completely honest, the only things I like about the Exmark XS is the cut of the Ultracut deck, the smoothness of the controls, and the power from the engine. The ride isn't very good, the seat isn't comfortable (yes, it's the suspension seat, but with no lumbar support), the cockpit isn't very comfortable, it's not very good on hills, and I hate the no flat front castors. The weight isn't a huge problem, in my opinion. It has the capability to do more turf damage, but I'm a firm believer that experience and technique can erase most of the turf damage problems.

6. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Obviously you haven't used it on too many hills.
    It will go where no Lazer HP or standard Lazer will go. That's a fact.
    Ask me how I know..............
    The ride is as good as any ZTR with a suspension seat. These are mowers, not Cadillacs.

The seat however is tougher than older models because of too much wear on previous designs.

7. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, it deffinately not for postage stamps.

8. TAZ

from Ohio

This will be used on large lots. 3-9 acres. The one I am looking at has the ultra-cut deck. I am just trying to decide on this machine or a hustler. My only concern is the weight difference on the softer ground in the spring/fall.

-TAZ

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Removing the ROPS will lighten it up a buck or so.

If it has the Ultra-Cut, jump on it. 60 or 72?

10. TAZ

from Ohio

60"
    -TAZ