Exmark lazer Z 23 Kohler charging issue

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Chazmo, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Chazmo

Chazmo LawnSite Member

I have gone thru 3 batteries this spring. The mower runs fine for a bit but voltage dissipates over time til the mower no longer will start. I put a new Exide 350 CCA in today it started right up. Reved up the RPM on the mower and Put a meter on the battery there is no voltage surge at all. This leads me to believe I have a Regulator or alternator issue? I am looking for diagnostic advice Please. I was having some clutch issues last season where PTO would sporadically not engage- could this be related?.

Another issue may be unrelated? the motor does not consistently respond to the throttle- particularly when I trying to throttle down. Throttle wires move appropriately on the carb but the RPM sometimes do not reduce.

My Air went out on the house this week and I am trying not to have to see the dealer if possible$$$

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I just had the regulator go bad on mine. The 3 prong plastic plug was melted. I think the terminals get dirty over the years and build up resistance, thus heating up and frying it.

Your symptoms are similar.
  3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Check your fuses..
    Unplug the 3 wire plug on the regulator..clean the connections and plug back in..
    make sure the regulator has a good ground...either a wire or a strap...clean connections.