Exmark Lazer Z 72" - Power Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrainey, May 3, 2008.

1. jrainey

jrainey LawnSite Member

I purchased a used 2006 Exmark Lazer Z 72" mower with the 30hp Kohler. I was originally having issues with the engine bogging down going up hills. I took it to my dealer and under warranty they completed the Triton Deck update and the Kohler 30hp carburetor and elbow replacement/update.

I am still having power issues! The engine is bogging down when cutting off one or two inches off of thick dry north east grass. The mower only has 1047 hours on it and looks to be in great condition. I also own a 2002 60” Lazer Z with a Kohler 26hp EFI. This mower will cut through 10” of grass at full speed with no engine bogging.

Are the 30hp Kohler engines under powered for the 72” deck? I would find this hard to believe considering the unit was also available with the smaller Kohler 27hp and Kawasaki Liquid Cooled 27hp.

I would like to hear from anyone else that has had similar issues. What did you do to resolve the issue?

Does anyone run the Kawasaki Liquid Cooled 27hp 72” Lazer Z?

Thanks

Jim

2. jcantrell

jcantrell LawnSite Member

I run the liquid cooled kawasaki 27 hp on my 72 lazer and don't have any power issues unless I'm mowing 8-10 inches of grass/wet grass and I mulch everything.

Make sure the throttle is fully opening on the carb. I had a problem with the cable loosening up and only getting about 3/4 throttle when was set at fully open.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

First thing i'd do is get a tiny tach and check the engine rpm. It should turn around 3600 no load. If it is turning 3600 you could safely turn it up to 3750 and not have any problems. Are your blades sharp and underside of the deck clean, if not that would rob some power.

4. jrainey

jrainey LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I've installed brand new Mamba Highlift mulching blades and the deck is very clean. My dealer did set the full open RPM. I will double check with my tach.
    Thanks
    Jim

5. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a Kohler 27hp and took it back after a few hours and got the XS lazer with the briggs big block. Twice the power and speed. Huge difference. a 72 inch deck needs a lot of power.

6. jrainey

jrainey LawnSite Member

Was the 27hp on a Triton Deck or Ultra Cut?

7. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

It was the ultra cut. Last year for them 05 or 06

8. jrainey

jrainey LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info JC