Exmark Lazer Z Breaking Mule Drive Belts

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by calvinslawnservices, Jun 6, 2014.

1. calvinslawnservices

calvinslawnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Everyone,

So I have a 2005 Exmark Lazer Z that is breaking mule drive belts. It seems to happen when I engage the pto at any throttle speed and happens at different time intervals from when the belt is replaced. Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

Thanks,
    Calvin

2. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

With out more info, I can only guess...There is a double pulley at the back of the deck, that the mule belt goes to, that drives the deck belt. Check it for wobble (bad bearings) and /or a bent pulley....You will have to take the tension off the belts to do this.....

3. calvinslawnservices

I replace the whole assembly last year after I found a bend in one of the pullies. Thank you for the suggestion though. Any other thoughts?

4. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you using OEM belts?

A lot of aftermarket / ag belts use poly cords instead of Aramid. Their life span in a deck drive application is a real crap shoot.

Q

5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Have you checked the pulleys/bearings on the deck, I would assume you have checked the 2 in the back already.

Take the tension off the belt and check the spring loaded idler assy. at the back of slop/play.

Just a couple of weeks ago, on a 2012 model, one of the static pulleys in the deck, it had started to pull the bolt up through the deck which caused a misalignment, 2 belts in 2 days....

I have to agree with Q in the OME belts, they will out last the after market belts....

6. Rhi

Rhi LawnSite Member
    from fla

Hello Calvin, I had the same problem on our lazer no matter how I engaged the pto I would lose, break or twist the mule belt off the mule bearing up front under the deck. I replaced all the pulleys OME belt and things would be good a day or a week then the same thing would happen. I just gave up cause no one could fix it, different shops after market belts then back to OME and still no luck. In our off season we noticed the deck would move side to side allot we rebuilt the deck with new chains, the pins, and the trailing arms and welded the egg shape hole round again. Knock on wood but its been just over 8 months now and not once has it came off. We cut around 100 lawns a week so it sees allot of use. Maybe just something to look at? Best of luck :)

7. calvinslawnservices

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have been using steins belts I may try a OEM belt. I will check the deck pullies and the deck chains, pins, and everything else. Hopefully once I get this fixed, I can work on the oil leak in one cylinder...

8. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

As Rhi stated, take a good look at the strut pins and where the mount toward the inside of the deck. New pins won't help if the inner hole is worn. Too much side to side will cause all kinds of problems. The aftermarket belt most likely is not the problem unless it's too tight. The mule drive pulleys should be somewhat level with each other. Extending the ball joints out a little will give you more belt adjustment. If you do, use equal amount of turns and you might have to drop the front of the deck down alittle. A 60" deck, you want 'about" 1/4 pitch.

9. Lincoln31

Lincoln31 LawnSite Member

My lazer XP diesel throws one of the two mule belts off within the first two yard's. Now it'll run with one mule belt fine doesn't matter which side an only break after strenuous use. But all new pulleys bearings the hole nine yards. Buddy mentioned to check my motor mounts an they where just enough worn to allow the motor to torque over one side to the other depends on how much of load it under. But that little bit of play allowed one belt to get slack an break. But to the point new motor mounts an hardware. Seems to solved the issue for now