Exmark Lazer Z Hp 52" Kholer will not throttle down without cutting off....

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MasScape, Oct 4, 2013.

1. MasScape

MasScape LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased not to long ago a 2002 Exmark Lazer Z HP 52" with a Kholer 23HP (CV23S) engine. It was just a insane deal I couldn't pass it up but I am not a huge Kholer fan... Basically it was an old farmer mower and only has 600 hours and it has some small cosmetic issues which I am dealing with. Also when I got it, it will only start close to full throttle. Now I did a full tune up including new plugs, air filter, oil/filter, fuel filter, battery, and a good ole cleaning. Now it will throttle down to half power but any further it cuts off in a few seconds. Any suggestions? should I run some Sea Foam through it to clear the carb and see how it does? Or is there any issues that people have from their experience with this motor that may cause this. To me I think it is getting too much fuel myself.... It back fires sometime when I shut it down and it has once or twice when running for no reason.... Also 1 more thing I notice when I tuned it up, that the left plug was worse than the right (Directs from looking at the back of the mower). I do not know if the plug on the right was replace? or if that would be a sign of my issues.
    Any thoughts with small stuff to try first. I am pretty sure it is in the carburetor but I may be completely wrong. Anyways I have less than $1000 in this mower and it would be great to get it running right to add as a back mower for myself.

2. smallengineshop

smallengineshop LawnSite Member

Was there any water in the fuel tank when you first got it? It sounds very much like carb. It could be water or dirt in the idle port.

< larry>

3. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the throttle cable adjusted properly?

4. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

If you cleaned the carb and it still won't idle without stalling....you may have a leaking intake gasket ..
    There is an intake gasket atop each head....one sparkplug fouled more than the other is a symtom of a blown intake gasket.,

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't think there was a Kohler problem a can of Seafoam couldn't fix.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. piston slapper

Naw Patriot......that would be junkeracs.....

7. MasScape

Intake gasket... I going to look into that... would that cause a bad idle just like a bad spark plug
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. MasScape

I was thinking about a head gasket... anyone have an idea on that? Also is it hard to check the intake gasket?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Even more erratic than a bad plug.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. piston slapper

A head gasket would have to be leaking pretty bad to affect the idle...
    It would be audibly leaking....and sound like air brakes when you turned off the engine..
    Perform leakdown and compression tests to confirm your engine condition..