1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Exmark Lazer Z HP - Clutch removal question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TC Lawns, Oct 6, 2008.

1. TC Lawns

TC Lawns LawnSite Member

Hey I am having a hard time trying to get the clutch off of my Lazer Z. Is the bolt reverse threaded, or is it just so tight that I will need a air wrench to get it off. Any tips?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It loosens counter clockwise laying under it looking up, You can bring a piston up to TDC compression stroke. Remove the spark plug then back the piston back down the cylinder a little, Feed about 8 or 10" of number 4 1/2 recoil rope into the cylinder leaving some sticking out for removal. Then as you go to loosen the clutch bolt the piston will hit the rope and pin the crank from spinning.

When ready to re-install the bolt run the piston back down and remove the rope. Now rotate the piston a little past TDC compression stroke then re-insert the rope and tighten.

This procedure is outlined in the Briggs service manuals.

3. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

Good tip Retrorob. Make sure it is tdc on the compression stroke, other wise you can run the risk of the rope getting wrapped around the valve. Trust me, thats not fun.

4. ucrtwf

ucrtwf LawnSite Member

Hi guys,
    I know this is several months old, but after you get the bolt out- do you just pull off the clutch? Sorry for the silly question.
    Thanks in advance,
    Tim

5. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

I like tha rope trick, I will have to keep that in mind Restrorob, good thing you are always on here.

6. JosephLawnCare

JosephLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

UCRTWF, yes it just slides off. The crankshaft is keyed, so don't try to spin it. If the clutch hasn't been removed in a while it could be a little rusty, making it harder to slide off. (Put antiseeze on the crank when installing the new clutch) Also, an impact wrench works very well for removing the bolt.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The rope procedure was posted to help those that don't have access to a air or electric impact wrench, Much safer than removing the flywheel cover and sticking a pry bar across the flywheel fins which is a :nono: