exmark Lazer Z HP configurations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mark McC, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

exmark makes the Lazer 44" with either a 17-hp Kawasaki or a 20-hp, twin-cylinder Kohler. Any comments on how those two engines stack up?

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

more torque on the 20hp engine. the 17hp kawi is a smaller displacement than the 19 and up and the torque numbers show it. Probably adequate for normal use, but when mulching or hitting heavy stuff you might be glad you went with more power.

I prefer Kohlers, though my current hp has a kawi engine. Just has never run as smoothly and this is the replacement for the first one that they couldn't fix. My 12hp kawi also is harder to start than my kohlers have been.

3. lawnboy30

lawnboy30 LawnSite Member

my new lazer z hp is 48" with the 20hp motor. It is best I've used. ground speed is a thing of the past. Less work for the engine as well. Coupled with the ultra vac this thing is going to make some serious money.

4. lawnboy30

lawnboy30 LawnSite Member

Forgot to mention. I picked up a new account just 3 weeks ago. This residential hadn't been cut in about a month. the lazer had no trouble at all making the lawn look freshly manicured first pass. it cut grass that was easily 6" high and wet underneath.

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

according to Exmark's brochure, the 19 kawi is the same displacement as the 17, but I could swear I read differently on kawi's website. If mulching, I would go with the 20 for sure. And if mowing lots of tall grass, like cleanups on overgrown lots..