Exmark Lazer Z Hp engine troubles?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Teff's Lawn & Snow, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Teff's Lawn & Snow

Teff's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

Terry or other guys using the Kawasaki engine on there exmarks.
    I have the 21 hp kawasaki on my lazer z hp, the engine is sputtering on small slopes, did a tune up oil, plugs, air filter, fuel filter and oil filter. Still looses power on some hills, dosent do it all the time. The longer its been running the more likely it is to sputter on the hill. Any ideas before I take it to the Lawn shop.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Teff's,

The only other thing I would try would be to drain the gas out and put some fresh stuff in. This time of year we see a lot of stale fuel as water in fuel.

Thanks,

Terry

3. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

Mine does the same thing too on hills, doesnt matter if it is going up or down kind of frustrating.

4. eXmark

Guys,

I'm no engine expert but this really sounds like it is fuel related. I would recommend taking the mowers to a qualified tech for inspection.

Thanks,

Terry

5. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

Terry

If it was fuel related wouldn't always sputter like that, and not just on hills? Not bashing the machine in any way LOVE it and the cut, just wondering why it did this on hills only. Actually as I was driving down my hill today from my house the engine quit. The next thing I know as I am putting it on my trailer it quits again@@

Backing on the trailer!!!

Taking your advice, calling my dealer, just dont want my mower out of commision for two days or more..............

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

My 2003 21hp kawi Lazer HP finally had to have the engine replaced last summer. Was losing power when it got heated up, maybe after an hour's use. Maybe you're just noticing it on the hills since that's where you need more power? By sputtering do you mean it misses sometimes? Even my 23hp new Kawi does that from time to time. The kohler on an older HP never did.

7. Teff's Lawn & Snow

Teff's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

Terry, mower has been running alot better with the tune up and a few tanks of new gas with sea foam in it. Thanks for your advice, just bought another Emark metro 36", gives us 4 exmarks in our fleet. Customer support is one of our main reasons for buying Exmark.
    Thank You & Exmark,
    Teff's

8. eXmark

Teff,

Glad to hear your run problem has improved. 4 units! Cool! The Metro is a good machine too. My dad has been running my old 32" for a couple of years now. I'd guess it got to be 9 or 10 years old by now.........maybe older.

Thanks,

Terry

9. eXmark

Grassin,

Fuel can do some strange things. I've seen intake gaskets cause engines to spit and sputter when going up hills. I've also see a few more dirt related things happen to the carbs over the past several years than we are accustom to seeing.

The EPA requires that these engines run pretty lean to meet emission standards. Consequently if something is wrong with the carburetor or if the engine isn't getting enough fuel they get real lean real fast. When this happens you'll usually seen an engine that starts to miss when it is under load or when there is a change in load. Your problem may not be fuel related but it is possible. If it were my machine I would probably take it into the dealer as soon as possible for a through inspection.

Thanks,

Terry

10. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

if it is fuel related (and it most likely is) i'd almost say it had something to do with the float in the carb either letting too little or too much fuel into the carb. how old is the unit and how many hours? might just need a good carb rebuild.