Exmark Lazer Z HP -or- Scag Tiger Cub?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ETturfman, Mar 10, 2001.

1. ETturfman

ETturfman LawnSite Member

I'm trying to decide which mower to buy - Lazer HP 48"
    or Scag Tiger Cub 48". I've read some of the past threads on Scag vs Exmark but I would like a fresh opinion about it. My mechanic chose Exmark due to it's simplicity -he says there's less problems. A friend of mine chose Scag due to the good cutting deck - cuts bahia(I think that's how you spell it) grass really well. Pricewise the Scag is a little cheaper but I want the best so I'm willing to pay what it's worth. I'd appreciate any responses and I hope this isn't a worn out subject. Thanks.

ETturfman

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

it all depends on what kind of grass you cut the most, we have kentucky blue grass up here and the exmark is great, no scags around. i know that the micro mulch system is truely 2nd to none. wait to get some replies from guys with scags but my vote goes for exmark. ohh yea what size engine do you plan on getting???? big part in my decions.

3. ZMan

ZMan LawnSite Member

I have the Lazer HP(52" 23HP)This mower is awesome!!I have not used a scag rider so I can't comment on that machine.I am thinking of putting the micro mulch system on but need to talk to some people around my area for their thoughts.

Zman

4. ETturfman

Joshua - I was planning on ordering the Kawasaki 21 Hp 2 cylinder for either one. I was told to stay away from Kohler's. Everyone I've talked to said they are inferior to Kawasaki. I would rather a Honda but they don't make a riding mower! What a shame. I've enjoyed my 36" Honda walk behind but it has caused me to have tendonitis in my arms so I am going with a bigger, less physically stressful mower. I absolutely love the machine but the pistol grips are causing the problems in my arms.

ETturfman

5. ETturfman

Joshua - Forgot to tell you - We cut mainly Bahaia, Mexiaa or what ever you call it and St. Augustine, Centipede, and Bermuda. The Bahaia Mexiaa stuff (you know what I'm talking about, the stuff that grows a foot the day after you cut it) is really tough so I was wondering if the Exmark can handle that as good as they say the Scag can.

ETturfman

6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm really not sure, about that type of grass. we have kentucky blue up here in ohio and the exmark isn't challenged at all. talk to some guys in your area and see what they use.

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

ETturfman:

You may not be able to get a Honda ZTR, but you can get a ZTR with a Honda 24 HP engine. Dixie Chopper has a XW2400 Big Wheel, but I think you can only get it in a 60 inch deck.

I have not heard of that grass either, so I can not comment on how a Chopper would cut it.