1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark Lazer Z HP Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KB, Apr 28, 2001.

1. KB

KB LawnSite Member

I cut residential yards part time and sold my Exmark Turf Tracer HP 48" and bought a Exmark Lazer Z HP 52" / 23 Kaw. Big mistake. I have just lost my first account because of the cut quality of my lazer. These same people have been so pleased with me (until this year) that they have recommended me to everyone they knew. When I cut along even the smallest of incline, I cut into the turf about 1"+. What happens is that the right side of my deck (which is the side without a scalp roller) cuts too low into the turf because of my position on the slope. Some of these inclines, slopes, or even bumps are so minimal that they are not even noticable. If the lower side of my mower is running along flat ground when the upper side is on any degree of incline, I leave a streak of lower cut grass that really sticks out. I have the same problem with it in my own yard. All would be well if everything were flat but that is not the case in North Ga. This was never a problem with the Turf Tracer. I only have 17 hours on the HP and already wondering if I should cut my losses, sell, and buy another walk behind. It is faster, but the quality of the cut just does not seem to be there.
  2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

get a real pro or exmark dealer to help you set it up.
    my lazer cuts as smooth as any ive owned.
    get comments all the time about it .
    not bragging just letting you know it can be fixed.
    good luck to you
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Why can't you just mount an ani scalp wheel on the discharge side? Most mowers have them.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Your anti scalp rollers at the LEFT side of your deck are set at the factory setting-all the way down. This is too low. Move your wheel up one notch (on the left side) and try that. This should help.