1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

eXmark Lazer Z mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HLM86, Oct 21, 2005.

1. HLM86

HLM86 LawnSite Member

I am demoing an exmark lazer Z 52" with a 25 hp kohler. I like it pretty good so far but havent cut much with it. What does everyone else think of this mower? Thanks.
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The 60" deck will trim much better. I would not consider the smaller deck on the full size Z. Even if you have smaller properties the 60" will trim better, mow faster, and have better resale value. Just my 2 cents. You may have a situation that I haven't thought of but I just cant see it on a full size Z. If you really want a 52" deck go with the smaller models so your deck will extend out enough to trim. Good luck.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

In the south it's better to have the full size over the HP in the 52" cut.
    It just cuts better because the caster placement is better.

Plus, you get a bigger better ride, deeper deck, bigger front tires, more power.

I too am prone to cry and moan about trim ability. But I have learned there are other things that are more important, such as all-the-above. So my suggestion if it must be an eXmark and must be no bigger than a 52" then go with the full-size Lazer with the 25 or 27 hp engine.

Personally though, I like the 60" deck size better and have no problems putting it anywhere I can put the 52"... and on the small size, I like the 48" deck size better. I've found a lot of places I could put the 48" that the 52" will not fit.

So to me, the 52" size is OK for small lawns that don't have a lot of tight spots. But otherwise it is too small to be a big producer like the 60" and too big to be a compact mower like the 48"....

But that's not to say a 52" won't suit most other people just fine.
  4. HLM86

HLM86 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I cut different size residential yards, but nothing too big. I didn't really seem to have a problem with the trim of the mower. I just want one that will disperse clippings well, and mulch light leaves well. I also didnt want a bigger deck than the 52" with the 25 hp b/c i wanted as much power to the blades as possible for mulching. I'm liking the exmark so far though. Toro and Scag would probably be one of the only other ones I would buy, any opinions on them compared to the exmark?
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well then, you are on the right track in my book. Like I said, I'd be considering that same full size Lazer Z with the 25 or 27hp engine instead of the HP. You can still get the 27/52" right?

As far as the others go, Toro is relatively the same machine as the eXmark you are trying now, other than the new Toro deck and a few odd cosmetic features.

Scag on the other hand is a bit of a different animal, and in my opinion, they have more good options for someone looking for a 52" machine. You have the option of the Tiger Cub, Wildcat or Turf Tiger platform.

52" Tiger Cub w/ 23hp Kawasaki or 24hp Honda
    52" Wildcat w/25hp Kawasaki (Sir mowsalot just bought one of these)
    52" Turf Tiger w/27hp Kohler
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know much about the Exmark but you said Kohler 25HP. Exmark, Toro, Walker or Crapsman I wouldn't buy anything with a Kohler 25.
    Kohlers 26EFI is a great motor but I am not sure if they put it on the Exmark you want. Sorry for minimal input but I had a bad 25HP experience.
  7. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

its one of the best machines in the industry you shouldnt have a problem I wouldnt think unless like a previous poster said about the deck not sticking out far enought to go around things like you would on a "60 I have never opt a 52 just a 60. Dont be afraid to check out its sister the Toro series with the turbo force deck you can adjust the spray of the clippings Ive never used it however jsut heard good things about it.
  8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I would guess that that's one of the best selling mowers made. I've used a 27/52 as a demo for about 3 weeks while my lazer hp was in the shop and liked it. No complaints. I've used Lazer HP's since '98 and they're good for when you want a little less bulky and heavy mower, though mine still damages really soft lawns some. I think any rider would.

What are you cutting there? My lazer HP mulched St. Augustine like it was nothing. Most people in S. Florida where I lived discharged, but except for the worst growth weeks of the year it mulched fine in one pass. And in that hot humid environment, things grow like crazy.

Take what the big mower lovers say with a grain of salt. Some of them are mowing Northern grasses and huge fields or field grade commercial lots where the size difference pays off, speeds are high, and the big decks are superior. But on typical small home lawns it's just turn, turn, turn, and you might find it too heavy and damaging. I rarely see anything over 52" used on small/med residentials here.

I mow anything from 1/10th to 1.5 acres, and there are times I wish I had a lighter mower for small lawns, shady areas where turf is thin, and wet days.

Exmark was a superior deck to Toro in most regards, till the last year or so when they leaped ahead. I'd try a toro too, but make sure your dealer gives good service. Toro dealers here are often small and cater to homeowners, though one I use for repairs has a great mechanic.

I am not sure Scag even has a proper mulch kit. Owners would know for sure. I know Exmark touts their mulching ability a lot more than Scag, which tells me something. Mine mulches leaves very well. I was just thinking today "man, what a lifesaver" after I tried mowing one lawn with a discharge deck due to it being newly seeded and delicate, and then switched to my mulching deck equipped lazer. In moderate leaf conditions it looks almost bagged, and I have NEVER had a single complaint after mulching leaves in the 5 years I've been using that on leaves.
  9. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wait till next years models come out and demo, demo, demo!!! If the new Exmark decks are half as good as the Exmarkspyguy says they are, then you would be a foolish to buy the current production models.
  10. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Kohler is THE BEST. they may not be as technically advanced as the "Japanese" motors but the are by far the longestlasting, and the simplest to work on.