Exmark Lazer Z or HP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dodgeman, Jun 15, 2002.

1. dodgeman

dodgeman LawnSite Member

A little help if you will. I am looking at the 60" Lazer or the 52" Lazer HP. I can get either one money really isn't the issue. I am just starting out mowing and most of the yards I will be mowing will be less than an acre. The 60" will run me about $7900 and the 52" I can get a demo with about 40 hrs with the bagger for $7200. I want to make sure I buy the right thing. How do these prices sound? By the way the 52" has the 20 hp and the 60" has the 25hp Kohler.

Thanks

Pete

2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

The prices seem to be in there ... if your going with the 60" .... you really should look at the EPS Fuel Injection ...we are getting 3 extra hours on every 5 gallons of fuel ..... compared to our other the carburated 60" Z .... this relates easily to 30% fuel savings ..... for that 1 mower saving about $12 weekly or $624 yearly in fuel ..the EPS pays for itself in 2 years ....quicker if she racks up the yearly hours

3. dodgeman

dodgeman LawnSite Member

I wanted to get the EPS but the one dearler I have been talking to said thay cannot get one until August.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I have the same 60 inch lazer you are looking at. I paid $7300 plus tax last year. I definately would go with the 60 inch over the 52 inch. Those few inches will benefit you in the long run, and you can put the 60 inch just about anywhere the 52 would go.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Its a call only you can make. Here is what I found. My 52" LHP is great for residential lawns. A 60" wouldn't get around and be as manuverable as my 52" HP in tightly landscaped lawns. The HP has a shorter wheelbase, thus allowing you to put it anywhere a w/b will go. Its about the same lenght as my 36" metro is. The 52" HP has the same MPH as the full size lazer so on big stuff you still have the advantage of the 9.5 speed. It has a lower center of gravity so it helps to hold hills better.

My properties range from 1/4 acre to 2+ acres. Its the best of all worlds. 1 mower handles it all.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

u wont go wrong either way.i got a 52 lazer and know the machine . to me its the cats meow. but ive never had the chance to own the hp . heard many good things about it.

7. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed both at dealer show the Hp is smaller and lower to the ground. The bagger is included with HP. an extra with 60.

8. cowman66

cowman66 Banned

either would be a fine choice. i think the 60" would be better if u have an open area, but as others have said, get the 52 if u have manuverability problems
    -andy

9. dodgeman

dodgeman LawnSite Member

The 52" they said had the bagger. Said it was a $1300 option. Is this the Ultra Vac? How is that for picking up debris such as leaves and small sticks?

By the way thanks for the response. I want to pick one of these up the first of the week.

Thanks again.

Pete

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Dodgeman,

There are quite a few differences between the Regular Lazer Z and the Lazer Z-HP. I'm sure you already "memorized" the 2002 Exmark catalog, so I won't bore you with everything. Below is a list of some of the more important differences.

Lazer Z-HP 52"******Fullsize Lazer Z 60"

8.5gal fuel...............11gal fuel
    8.1 - 9.5mph.............9.5 - 11mph
    Vert. Shaft eng...........Horiz. Shaft eng.
    20-23hp......................23-31hp
    77.3" Long...................78.5" Long
    965lbs dry....................1031-1565lbs dry
    23x9.50 - 12 Tires........24x12-12 Tires

Those are just a few differences.

The bagger is, and always was an option. NOTHING's FREE or INCLUDED!

If you are interested in the Ultra-Vac, I would seriously suggest going with the 23hp Kawi if your going with the HP. Go with the 26EFI or 27 LC if you go fullsize. The Ultra-Vac really taps your power (figure approx. 150rpm drop!) I have mixed feelings on the Ultra-Vac. I'll need this fall season to complete my review. Its NOT perfect, but its darn close!

Don't let the dealers floor stock influence what mower you really want! August is only 45 days away! Last I was at my dealer he had 7 Lazers of different configurations on display in the showroom.....many more in the Loft still in crates!

IMO, you can get a 60" anywhere you can get a 52". That 8" is a timesaver on the bigger lots!

Good Luck!