Exmark: Lazer Z, or Lazer Z XS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Crewcutlawncare, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Crewcutlawncare

Crewcutlawncare LawnSite Member

Which mower would be better to start out with in business? The Lazer Z 60" or the Lazer XS 60"?
  2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Can you give us some more information so we can make a more informed decision to help answer your question.

What engine options on both the Z and Z XS are you looking at getting?
    What are you needs?
    Will this be your main mower?
    What are you accounts like?
    Will you be mulching?
    Will weight be a concern?
    Does price matter?
  3. Crewcutlawncare

Crewcutlawncare LawnSite Member

I am looking at a 29 HP Engine.
    This will be my main mower.
    Price does not matter.
    Will be pulling this with a half ton pickup truck. 94 nissan. 4x4.
    areas are at 1 acre min. 50 or 60 accounts... including commercial.
    Turf Striper needed.
    Bagging and/or discharging only required. 3 bushel bagging system.
    Most accounts are wide open areas. Minimal amt. of trees and obstructions.
  4. jtkplc

I asked about weight not for trailering, but for on your accounts. If you have damp accounts or anything, the added weight of the XS might not be what you want. What engine option on the Lazer Z?

I've used an XS with the 31HP Briggs on a 60" deck for about 3 months. It's one powerful machine.

I'm not in a position to comment on which would be better for you to start out with because I haven't used both, I'll let other, qualified members do that.
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'd go with the 28hp EFI Kohler in the standard Lazer.

I'd go with the 31hp Briggs in the XS Lazer.

The Kawi DFI 29 really isn't a ball of fire. Plus you'll be tugging around a radiator.
  6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I would go XS, have not run one personally but have run a lazer Z with ~25hp kohler and in thick wet st.augustine, the power isnt there at all. Plus, you get the large wheel pumps/hydro pumps with the XS.
  7. joe2106

joe2106 LawnSite Member

I started out w/ the 27hp lazer and loved it. "Nothing could be better" is what I thought. Then this year I upgraded to a XS with the 31 hp. There is no competition between the two. The XS walks away from the lazer. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the lazer, but the XS really moves. I have the new triton deck on the xs, and I am really happy w/ it.

I kindof live by the motto of buy more power/bigger than you need b/c eventually you will need it.

8. jtkplc

Which deck did you 27HP Lazer have and how does it compare (cut, clipping dispersal, etc.) to the Triton deck? Thanks...
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Joe,

How about some pictures of that Triton deck. Seeing as though eXmark is so tight lipped about it. Heck I don't think my dealer has any yet.

I'm concerned with the front baffle design during high speed cutting.
  10. joe2106

joe2106 LawnSite Member

I had the ultracut on the regular lazer. My partner swears the ultra dispersed the clippings better. I think they cut about the same. The first day I went out and cut when it was raining pretty heavy w/ the trition with NO clumping going full speed and cutting a fair amount off. I haven't played w/ the adjustments on the deck yet, but when I figure them out I'll probably like it even more. I think it would be a mistake not to get the triton.