Exmark Lazer Z Spindle Replacement

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by timeisforchange, Aug 5, 2011.

1. timeisforchange

timeisforchange LawnSite Member

I have a 2004 Exmark Lazer Z. Model no. LZ27KC524, Serial no. 454495. I am trying to:

1) Locate the correct spindle replacement. The owner's manual says the OEM is 103-3200, whereas I've seen websites that say this is for the 60" deck, not my 52". What is the correct OEM number?

2) Find out if anyone has replaced their own spindles? Any problems, tricks or tips?

2. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

Ive done it on one of my lazers . Its real easy . Pop the idler off and unbolt it from the bottom.

3. timeisforchange

Thanks man, that's a little relief!

4. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

This may not apply to you but I just bought an exmark with noisy spindles. Was going to replace all three but ended up just putting new bearings in. $30 for all the bearings vs. $150 ea. for spindles.
    Might save you some money unless yours are wore out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. timeisforchange

My spindles are definitely worn out, but I found it cheaper than $150 a pop. On Ebay, genuine Oregon part - $254.97 for all 3, comes with free shipping too! Pulley, housing and all.

I would like to know how you swapped the bearings in the spindle? I've heard they are NOT easy to replace..is this true? Trick to it?

6. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

The shaft is sometimes tricky to get out or the pulley wont come off without heating with a torch: but for the most part it is pretty easy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. MoGreen

MoGreen LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

8. MoGreen

MoGreen LawnSite Member

Don't mean to thread jack, but are the spindles where the gears are? Just bought a zero turn for cheap and the right one is chattering when I try to move....is it a bad hydro pump or gears/spindles?
    Thanks..
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. timeisforchange

A spindle is the part that (under the cutting deck) a bolt goes into to hold the blade in place, and (on top of the deck) has a pulley attached to it so the deck belt can be looped around to spin the blade.

10. timeisforchange

Hmm, if the shaft is stuck in there, do you think I could put a screwdriver on the end of it and tap with a hammer to get it out? Is there risk of damaging anything if I did that?

I can't wait to get these spindles...they shipped today.