Exmark Lazer Z value

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Elkbow, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

I have found an Exmark Lazer Z model LHP4420KC for sale with less than 100 hours on it. It is a 44" with a 20hp Kohler, but I don't know the year model. The owner died and his widow is selling the mower and she doesn't know when he bought it. The serial number is 472xxx; can anyone tell me what the year model is from that serial number? What would be a "good deal"? I have been looking for a little larger ZTR, something in the 52" to 60" range, but if this is a good deal I may just buy it this weekend. I will just be mowing my 1 1/4 acre vacant lot and my home with about 1/3 of an acre. I may also mow some for my dad, his total acreage being about 3 acres. What would this mower have sold for when it was new? Are there any problems with the Exmark that I should be aware of?
    Thanks for your help!

2. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Too many variables on here for people to price it for you..

Contact your LOCAL ExMark dealer & they can answer all your questions for you.

3. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

I've found out this is a late 2004 model mower. I called 2 dealers and what each of them said it is worth varied by about $1500! Please give me your opinions.

4. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

Comments? Anyone?

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I would try to get it for about $2500. When somebody is in a difficult situation, I tell them what I am willing to put in there hand in 24 hours... but I also tell them that market value is probably more and if they sit on it or advertise it they could get more.

6. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Too bad for her that someone doesn't tell her about LawnSite's Equipment & Parts Marketplace. It sounds like this machine must have cost her husband quite a bit more than $6,000, and it's hours are only what an LCO would put on it in a few weeks or even less. I suspect she's going to get ripped off, little doubt of that. The only question is by how much. I guess it's obvious that my sympathies are with the widow.

7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

$6000 new and the average depreciation on a mower per year is $1500... so it is 2 years old and that would put it right at $3000.

I don't think it is ripping her off as long as you are honest w/ her... tell her it is worth a little more, but this is what I am willing to give right now... no hassle no worry.

8. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

They are asking $4000, I hope to buy it for $3500. Is this a good deal? I had planned to buy a 50" to 60" Zero turn, but $3500 sure is better that $6000 to $7000 for a new Hustler. I won't be using this commercially, so if it takes me 15 mintues longer to mow my 1 1/4 acre, lot it's not a big deal.

9. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't really know what the price was in 2004, but based on my own purchase of a similar machine several years ago, I believe it must have quite a bit more than $6,000, which is the number I used earlier. It may have been even more than $7,000. And although it was purchased 2 years ago, it has less than 100 hours on it. I suspect that "average depreciation on a mower per year" of $1500 might apply for one used by and LCO, but not to this particular item. It's more than likely that its worth much more than $3000. I'm not able to quote a figure, but I suspect no one would be able to buy a mower like that with such few hours from an Exmark dealer for less than $5000, if any were to be available. Sorry Lawnworks, but it really sounds like a $3000 offer wouldn't be very fair to the widow. But on the other hand, since she doesn't know how to sell the mower and has no family members or friends to help her, I guess she's going to be out of luck and will have to essentially give it away for something like 3 grand. And she may not even get that much. A good deal for someone, but not the seller.

10. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

The widow's son-in-law is who I am dealing with, and it is at his house. He has already turned down offers for $3000.