Exmark Lazer Z with sensitive steering

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by famouslee, May 8, 2012.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What mower are you comparing it to?

Most ZTR's will drag/skid the pivoting tire. You can't just pull one stick back and assume the mower will turn and go the other way.

Also, reverse is difficult on a ZTR. If one side was replaced, your never going to get the right "feel".
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. famouslee

famouslee LawnSite Member

A couple weeks ago I played with that bypass valve on the left side and it somewhat helped calm it down a bit, but you can tell there is still an issue. Just looking on ebay, I'd seen that a wheel motor is around $600...what do they cost from the dealer?

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The bypass valve isn't something you adjust. It's either tightened down (normal use) or loosened (for towing your mower when it breaks down).

By any chance do you have any bagger weights or solid filled front tires? Increased front axle weight will cause poor handling like your describing.

4. famouslee

No bagger, no weights, but yes, flat free solid tires....None of those have anything to do with it. There is obviously an issue with the left side. Right side is normal acting, but left has problems.

5. ash3001

ash3001 LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

Did you retighten the bypass? If so and after that it calmed it dow. You.may have some air in your system that's not bleeding out

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Now your describing that you believe a certain side has problems.

Still though, if your inside pivot tire is skidding, your weight transfer is off.

In the past I've heard complaints about this exact condition. Much later it's revealed that the poster has bagger weights and heavy solid front caster tires. Two things that will produce conditions that you were explaining.

Air in the system is another possibility, but that usually works its way out over time.

If you ran it with the relief valves open, you didn't help the issue.

7. baservicesla

baservicesla LawnSite Member

We're you able to fix this? I'm having a very similar problem with mine
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. famouslee

Yes, I sold it. That was my fix. This past summer I ran a 2-3 year old Exmark with only 2xx hrs on it and it was super sensitive as well. I have determined I'll never own or operate another Exmark. My 2003 Grasshopper with 1700 hrs drives straighter and smoother.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yes those Exmarks are trouble, I've been running them for 20 years, I know what you mean.

10. baservicesla

baservicesla LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device