1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Exmark lazer z XP diesel. Who has or is using one.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Potchkins, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

I currently run a 23 hp kohler 60"
    lazer z . It just does not have quite
    enough power for me.
    I was thinking of trading up to
    the 27 hp diesel XP.
    Your thoughts?
    and fuel how many gph.
  2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

the lco i work for, we run 2 exmark lazer z xp diesel 72" machines

good cut good speed and nice handling.

sometimes a little big for some spots but xcellent machines.

sorry but i dont know on gph

good luck:cool:
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I know a guy that has one and a 27 gas. He says the same thing that I said after riding one for an afternoon. These things are dogs. They are just so heavy, and doggish feeling, that I was just ready to get off after about a half hour. They are just so cumbersome and slow in acceleration and deceleration. It just doesn't have that nice sharp responsiveness of the lighter gas machines. It takes quite a bit longer to get up to full speed, and takes even longer to slow down without creating turf stress. Sure, you could slam it down to stop or slow down fast, but the machine is just so heavy, that it creates more damage or stress as a result. They are also louder to operate, which you would think it would be the other way around. It tends to rut much easier, but with care, this can be avoided. I guess they're ok for cutting large wide open spaces like commercial fields or something, but just not that suitable for nice yards that are irrigated or in tight areas. Once you jump off of one of these and back onto a gas powered Lazer, you get this feeling of quick, crisp responsiveness. It's much like getting out of dad's Oldsmobile and jumping into a Trans-Am, or something of the sort.
  4. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

When a gas engine wears out, in most case's the rest of the machine is ready to be scraped also. In the case of the diesel, your stuck with a still good engine that you can no longer use because the rest of the machine has worn out.

Money wise it doesn't make good sense to make this purchase.
  5. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

About 1.1 GPH
  6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I demoed one of those two years ago, along with a Dixie Chopper diesel, and a Grasshopper midmount diesel. The Exmark was the worst machine of all three. The double mule drive belt setup is a maint nightmare waiting to happen. Lots of moving parts to wear out. It felt slow and really heavy compared to the DC and the Grasshoipper . I ended up purchasing the Grasshopper 428D midmount with the Kubota diesel and the 72" deck. It is on it's third season, and has been a great machine so far.
    I just talked to the Parks Dept. superintendent here in our town. They had demos on the Grasshopper, the Exmark, and the Kubota diesel ZTR's. They chose to buy 3 Grasshoppers , as they felt both the Exmark, and the Kubota machines had too many potentially costly maintenance issues. Also, he said the Grasshopper outperformed the other two hands down.:D
  7. Kent Lawn Care

Kent Lawn Care LawnSite Member

well, i know of a local contractor that bought 4 Lazer Xp with diesels. he is about ready to send em back, and tell em where to shove em. they have to add hydro fluid everyday because it burns it off an two of em, and two of em he said have been in the shop for warrenty work over half the season.

as for myself i have a 72" with the gas 31 hp and am getting rid of it, im fed up with the problems.
    the dual mule drive belts are all messed up, its been in the shop for warrenty work 5 times because the belt would fly off and rip off a pully or two. and the 72" deck is to big, it digs into the ground. im hoping that exmark fixed the hydro problem, cuz i wanta ge the diesel mowers! i want two 60" diesels to replace the 72" im going to sell!

Anyone else have problems with the belts on the XP's?

ooh yea, apparently there has been enough problems with my mower, that the mule belt system now has a second year warrenty from exmark for all the hassels. one bonus, but still not enough to make up for all the time and money i lost from not having it to use.

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Grasshopper figured out how to build big diesel ZTR's years ago. Check out their 428D, midmount units. The Kubota 28hp diesel is bullet-proof, and the whole machine has a very simple, low maint. design. You can get it with a 61", or a 72" deck. I have the 72" deck and love it. There are at least 9 of the big 428 diesel machines in operation in this area. Everyone who has them here, really likes them.:)
  9. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going into that catagory machine, IMO SCAG makes the best machine.
  10. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I demod an Iseki out-front 4WD 32HP L/C D 72'' with enclosed airconditiond cabin just the other week and had a blast on this unit! Loved anything I threw at it! And its built like brick.......well, you know what. The options on these machines are incredible. The air conditioned cab is a winner down here in OZ for our summers too! It's gunna be my mid 04'' edition.

Have a look at the ISEKI web site.

And as Rob1325 said......Take a look at the SaberTooth Tiger buy Scag. I've hear lot's of very good things about their turbo diesel unit.

Also IMO most of the big Diesels are very low maintanece (engine wise) but when somthing goes down its gunna cost ya big.